PDA

View Full Version : Housing

07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
How many gargoyles can one house in a naturalistic vivarium? what size space should be provided for 1.2?

StickyToes
07-30-2004, 05:18 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the total number that you can house in a naturalistic setup really depends on size of the vivarium, and whether or not there is any aggression shown amongst the females. I believe I've also read that there sometimes can be a heirarchy that is formed amongst the females, and the smaller or weaker females may not be allowed access to food (fruit). Definitely something to consider if there is a size difference amongst your females. In the Siepp and Henkel "Rhacodactylus" they recommend a minimum terrarium size of 16"x24"x32" for 1.2 geckos. You certainly can't go wrong with a bigger tank that has been heavily planted! :D
Hope that helps!
James

Chuck Powell
07-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Deven,

I use to have a trio in a thirty tall terrarium (fairly large), but one of the females attacked the other till she lost part of her tail. If you keep more than a pair in a terrarium be careful.

Best,

Chuck

08-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks Chuck, I think 1.1 would be best. ttyl

Nathan Hall
08-02-2004, 02:26 PM
I always keep my R. auriculatus in pairs, but my females tend to beat up on the males during the breeding season. I've had to separate many pairs during the breeding season and introduce the male about once a month. You will find that some females (and males) will be more aggressive than others. Tail CHOMPING is pretty common among this species.

Oh, I also raise all of my juveniles singly.

Leland
08-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I have successfully kept and bred r.auric. in a 25 gallon tall glass aquraium without any agression...They are heafty eaters and as long as they are fed well they tend to get along ok...But females are very known to chomp on each other as stated already in this topic...It is said that pairs should be kept together for this very reason, but like I said, I have successfully achieved breeding a trio together...Make sure there is plenty of hide spots in the form of large tubes or corkbark...Good luck. Leland-D.W.Geckos

walte230
07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
In my experience, 18x18x24 works fantastic for a pair of gargoyles, as well as, a trio. However, it is all relative to what you size enclosure you wish to keep the adult gargoyles in and what you wish to put in the enclosure, e.g. foliage, cork, et cetera. If you are interested in keeping a trio of gargoyles however, I recommend that you have a balance of size between the two females. Moreover, provide enough areas to hide. A larger female, say 38-40g, should not be kept with a smaller female, e.g. 25-30g. The large female will become, for what it is worth, dominate and territorial. This can result in an injured female and/or a hungry female. To paraphrase what Nathan said, breeding season involves females letting the male know what she wants. This can result in a injured male or a tailless male, especially if he is considerably smaller than the mate. Good luck!