PDA

View Full Version : I just want some knob advice ;)

SelectGex
08-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I am looking for experienced people :D. Just want to know the best biginers, and some good pointers knob wise. I will be selling most of my leo collection and going to knobs I hope soon, saving a small bell albino group, thats it (super hypo, jugnle hets, etc)

Let me know! and maybe some more pictures ;)

Nathan Hall
09-09-2004, 04:12 AM
Matthew,

I keep all of my knobbies singly in 15-quart boxes (17"L x 11 1/8"W x 6 3/8"H) in a rack system. The rear portion of the box rests on 4" heat tape. There is about 2-3" of fine sand in each enclosure, and I keep the sand on the cool end moist and covered with an inverted catch basin. I feed them 3-4 appropriately sized crickets a few times a week.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/N.levis12.jpg

bugman426
12-30-2004, 02:48 PM
hey nathan, i am getting a pair of milii in the next 2 weeks and had some questions about your rack system--first off, do you have a whole pic of the enclosure?

secondly, do you have a pic of the rack system? i wanted to build a very simple one to hold a few rubbermaids but am very inexperienced with woodworking.....any tips you can give me?

thanks
Mike

Nathan Hall
01-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Here's a pic of one of my homemade racks. You can always get shelving at your local hardware store and put heat tape down, and rest the boxes on the tape. It might not be a lidless system, but it will work fine. You can simply drill holes in the boxes or remove part of the lid and hot glue screen in place.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/rack2.jpg

Brandon
01-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Nathan, there is one thing i've always been curious about w/knob-tails and rack systems...does the deep sand make it tougher to get the desired temps on the warm end?

Nathan Hall
01-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Actually, I keep the sand shallow on the warm end for just that reason. So, the sand is about 1/2" on the warm end and 3" or so on the cool/moist end.

Paul de Boer, Jr.
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Matthew, you'll love the knobtails! The wheeleri have been the easiest for me to work with, and that seems to be the consensus with everyone I've spoken to. They are really cool. An assitant at my vet's office calls my wheeleri "The Little Pistols." ;)

I have not worked with any of the smooth knobs, so I cant really say which of the knobs overall are easiest.

oli
10-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree with Paul. The wheeleri are the easiest by far, the smooth knobbies are pretty tricky at first. I would just recommend bottom heat for all knob tails as back heat is kinda hurtin for the smoothies and for the amyae.