PDA

View Full Version : Roaches and Rhacs..

TH76
09-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone here is feeding roaches of any kind to their Rhacs and how it wasworking. Do you forceps or tweezer feed or just toss the roaches in, I am working on a Lobster Roach colony atm and will be getting some Orange Spot roaches to start a colony with soon.

I have a trio of aurics and a pair of chahoua in semi natural setups, so Im worried about the roaches going to ground and never being eaten, or worse, escaping into my house. I also have alot of cresties, mainly in more antiseptic setups, so Im less worried about the roaches being able to get away from them. My last question is, if you feed with tweezers or forceps (rubber tipped of course), how hard was it to get your animals used to it and what kind of techniques did/do you use? Thanks in advance for any help!

Nathan Hall
10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm about to start a discoid colony. I've heard that Rhacs love them.

10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Are discoids another non climber? That is my prerequisite, can't stand Lobsters, too fast and I'm not having good results with them for my chahoua or aurics.These orange spots Im getting (Blapticus dubia) are supposedly the ideal feeder roach, up to 2 inches long with a long lifespan, non climber, not nearly as fast as a Lobster roach. The only problem with them is low availability/high cost, and it takes more than 6 months in some situations to get a large colony going. I just want to get away from crickets, and although Im naturally kind of disgusted by roaches, anything that will kill that bill (and smell) is more than welcome.

KelliH
10-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I feed all of my leachianus discoid and orange head roaches. Both of those are non flying, non climbing species that reproduce fairly well. If you start out with a decent sized amount (15-20) adult or subadult roaches, you will have tons of them in no time!

TH76
10-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Ty for the info, the orange spots Im looking at are pretty expensive unfortunately, Ill definitely look into those other two, any good suppliers for them around?

Nathan Hall
10-28-2004, 05:47 PM
This should get you started:

http://roaches.arbreptiles.com/discoid.phtml
http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/Roaches/Roachman.html

TH76
12-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks you guys! Justbugs.com is selling Blaberus fusca, the dwarf cave roach. It is a non climber that is nearly prolific as a lobster roach, theya re selling at $80/100. Sounds like another pretty ideal species.

Leland
12-16-2004, 09:53 PM
I have had great success feeding lobsters to all my hatchling/juvie cresteds, they love them! They are also great food for any gecko if you can control them. I do have a small colony of lobsters, but I keep them moderately cool to keep them slow/inactive. They are very fast, and I find it a pain in the ass to try and watch them until they're consumed. IF there is any sort of substrate in the enclosure they will dig down into it and hide, so it's hard to feed in planted/vivariums. I have thought about giving my Dixonius some roaches in the spring when I start breeding them, should be an easy way to keep calcium in the female. Just monitor the lobsters when feeding. Good luck!

clarksgeckos
08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Nathan, Try the Blatta Lateralis if you want a unbelievably profific fast growing small roach that I havent had any complaints about from my Rhac's, LOL!! They are a must have species when feeding lots of small and medium sized geckos. The Chahoua's go stark raving mad when the Lateralis are introduced to the tank.