PDA

View Full Version : Crested Emergency!!!!!

Agrrlandherguy
11-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Ok, so I am in need of serious help.

For those of you know, I am a reptile rehabber and work at a reptile sanctuary as well as my own home. Working with sick and almost dead reptiles is nothing new to me, but geckos are.

I am not sure how it happened, but I had two geckos escape. These geckos belong to Deadoktober and they have been at my home for a month now. I have been gone for almost a week straight except to come home, change and take care of the animals because I have been helping a friend move. The last time I can pinpoint seeing the geckos in their enclosure was Tuesday night. It is now Friday and when taking them out to feed crickets, we discovered that they are nowhere to be found.

After frantically tearing the house apart, one of the babies (5 months) has been found. She is missing her tail, has a lot of dried blood on the stump and back leg and is looking dehydrated. She was found in a shirt that was in the bathroom.

I have since pumped 1.6CC of my reptile pedilyte concoction to get some water and electrolytes in her. I have given her 5 (units are 1/2 of a CC) units of Betadine (antibiotics) as well as cleaning her tail with iodine.

The injection was done in back leg and right now her back leg is ntoo doing too well. The injection may have injured it even though I used my smallest needle (used normally for diabetics). I am not so concerned about her regaining use of this back leg as long as she makes it though this ordeal. I would rather have the leg hurt than have her die slowly because of an infection.

We think the cat got her. The cat is an avid hunter and eats bugs often. The tail is nowhere to be found and that is why we think it was the cat.

Is there anything else I am forgetting to do? I am afraid that I am losing my common sense because I am emotionally attached to these animals and because of the fact that I am so distraught that they even got out in the first place.

Please if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciated. Please no negative comments because at this point I am negative and down on myself as it is.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ellena

weswright
11-27-2004, 12:22 PM
look for the other one in places it might be moist. I think that it would be pretty unlikly that they could get in to a cupboard. As for the one that is hurt, I understand that you have a lot of experance but maybe a vet visit is in order. Good luck,and keep us posted.

agrrlandherguy
11-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I have been keeping my eyes open and the cat locked up. I am hopeful that he will show up somewhere moist as well... hence the other one being found in the bathroom.

As far as the vets go, I get support from a herp vet in washington state and have ran my methods by him. That is why I already have the anibiotics on hand. She is showing marked improvement today, but I will probably be bringing her in Monday if she is not acting even better.

Thanks again.

Ellena

weswright
11-28-2004, 01:41 AM
good to hear:)