PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean Gecko or Turkish Gecko

bry2298
01-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Just bought my daughter a Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus) as a starter pet. I know they are boring and not very written about. Is there anything close as far as care written about these Geckos? I think I got the feeding down, but not sure about humidity. It is in a 10 Gallon with red sand and shallow water dish. A large stick slightly hallowed out on bottom for hiding and a cave type rock. Any other suggestions would be great. We are begginers. Thx.

Geckoworld
01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi Bryan,
Pretty simple really. The care is similar to alot of Hemidactylus. A hot spot of around 30C should be provided and a thermal gradient down to room temperature (around 20C). Night time temperatures should also be around 20C-22C. Provide it with a few hides, and some cork bark for climbing. A daily misting should take care of the humidity. Hope this helps.

geekcoboy103
01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Red sand is dangerous, and there are many safe alternatives to the red sand.
There is Eco-Earth coconut fiber, paper towels, and newspaper.
Papertowels (depending on brand, I use 'Viva' by Kleenex, it holds humidity/water extremely well) are pretty good for holding humidity.
Coconut is rather difficult to keep moist, but when it is moist it raises humidity right up.
That way you don't have to spray every 20 minutes like I have to with my 15-gallon tanks.
Thanks.

-collin

Nathan Hall
02-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Red sand is dangerous

I've been using Jurassic Sand for many years, without any problems. Please explain.

UnReal Reptiles
02-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Collin, I belive your thinking of the Calci Sand stuff arent you?