PDA

View Full Version : Flying Gecko (Ptychozoon kuhli)

Elizabeth Freer
02-06-2005, 11:30 PM
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/P.kuhli.jpg

Hi All---

Here's Natalie, one of my three wonderful flyers, doing a "thumb hug"! We're just preparing for a show at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle.

Elizabeth Freer
02-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey Folks---

Thanks for peeking at Natalie!! These geckos make wonderful pets!! This weekend Natalie has been amazing visitors at the Unique Animal Expo near Portland, Oregon. She will sit on my shoulder for a long time...tolerating this show exposure!

weswright
02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
WoW thats awsome, how did you aquire those? I am really intersted. Do you have any recamendations on care?

jhentschel
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Elizabeth, She is so cute! I was at an expo over the weekend and saw the flying geckos for the first time. Very amazing little guys. I have searched the net but, haven't found much info on them. Since yours obviously is doing well what is you secret? Such as enclosure, substrate, temp, and food. I live on the east coast wish I lived closer to see natalie in person

Elizabeth Freer
03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi---

Well, thanks :wink: I quite agree! I have Natalie, her daughter Sara, and an unrelated and as yet unnamed male. I plan to breed them :D I got Natalie and the male as wild caughts. (These need to be thoroughly checked for bright orange mites, which can be successfully removed with vegetable oil and a q-tip.) Lyle Puente, current president of the Global Gecko Association, wrote a thorough care sheet for Ptychozoon kuhli (and Ptychozoon lionotum) in the GGA newsletter Chit Chat not long ago. I'd be happy to post you a copy of Lyle's care sheet if you send me your snail mail address. My e-mail is ElizabethFreer@aol.com. If that is not OK, I could replicate some of the info here, but it would be much easier to add my husbandry to Lyle's care sheet.

Too bad you don't live closer so you might see all three in person. These are especially cute when they hatch!

surferdude375
06-01-2005, 03:47 PM
They sound so interesting. Where could i get one and what kind would you reccomend. Are they easily handlable/ like to be handled? Any informatino would be helpful. Thank you.

Elizabeth Freer
06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi---

Ptychozoon kuhli are sometimes exported into the USA. However, if you have the opportunity, purchasing captive-bred animals is recommended. Wild caught animals often arrive with mites which are easily removed with a dab of vegetable oil on a q-tip. But you must search thoroughly for the mites!

The Global Gecko Association published a good care sheet in their newsletter Chit-Chat about two years ago written by president Lyle Puente. Send me your address and I'll post you a copy (ElizabethFreer@aol.com)!

surferdude375
06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Thank you
I live at
185 Compo Road South
Westport, Connecticut
surferdude375@yahoo.com
:D
By the way, can flying geckos be handled?

surferdude375
06-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Have you kept crested geckos before?
If so, would you reccomend crested geckos or flying geckos? Thank you for the help

Elizabeth Freer
06-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Surfer Dude---

I have not had Cresteds, but have held a couple. One thing about Cresteds is that they do NOT regenerate their tails if it drops off.

So far my three flyers all have their original tails :-}

surferdude375
06-04-2005, 07:47 AM
I am sorry i have all of these questions, i am just so interested and cant seem to find much info on them. One last question, how fast are flying geckos? Thank you :D

Elizabeth Freer
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Good mornin' Surfer Dude!

(Well technically it's still morning in Seattle.) No problem at all with your questions. Sharing info is one of the great benefits of forums like Nathan's!

In my opinion Ptychozoon kuhli are not all that fast. They can be held and will cling to your t-shirt as you walk around. These flyers will vocalize. Just remember that no gecko wants to be held all the time and that geckos probably just tolerate our "cuddling".

Just as the PO closed last night I sent you Lyle's caresheet and the sections on Ptychozoon lionotum and rainforest vivaria from Henkel & Schmidt's 1995 book Geckoes.

surferdude375
06-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much for all of your help and information. :D Do you want me to send back the care sheet? Once again, thank you.

Elizabeth Freer
06-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Surfer Dude---

That info is ALL yours!

:D

surferdude375
06-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Thank you. It came today and is so helpful. I am greatly appriciative and hope to get a flying gecko soon.

surferdude375
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
do you need special lighting and what/how much do you feed yours?
thanks

ReptileMan27
07-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Beutiful flying gecko,I have one and they are really cool looking geckos. I cant handle mine though because he is really fast and like to bite and not let go.

Elizabeth Freer
07-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Surfer Dude---

No special lighting...just use incandescent bulbs and monitor the temperature. I feed my three flyers 2-3 dusted (usually) four week old crickets each every other night. Have you found a Ptychozoon kuhli yet?

Jason---

Thanks, a lovely gecko :wink: ! You ought to see the hatchlings. They are exquisitely patterned!!! Most frequently I just get nipped---a reminder to give them space.

About being bitten: Sometimes if you blow in his/her face he'll let go. If he's hangin' on for dear life, you might try holding your hand under tepid running water.