PDA

View Full Version : Diplodactylus galeatus set-up

Nathan Hall
03-15-2005, 03:55 AM
I have this pair in a 15-quart box in a rack system, with a Jurassic Sand substrate. The large nestbox/humid hide has moist coconut fiber. There is an inverted plastic catch basin on the warm end of the enclosure. The ambient temp is around 80 degrees F (26.6 degrees C), and the warm end is around 88 degrees F (31 degrees C).

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/D.galeatussetup1.jpg

Jan Grathwohl
03-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi Nathan

GREAT setup, really like it.

In which end do you have the heating? Underneath the hideout?

You are mentioning Coconut fiber, can you provide a photo of that? I don't know for sure wether its possible to get in europe, but it might be interesting if its can hold the humidity better than Sphagnum.

P.S. Do you keep damaeum and other species of Diplodactylus the same way Nathan?

Nathan Hall
03-15-2005, 04:24 AM
The heat tape is under the catch basin. I don't keep the nestbox on the warm end, so the coconut fiber doesn't dry out. I'm also afraid that the eggs would cook.

Peat moss is another fine alternative. I've been using coconut fiber for years and know just how much water to add to it to keep it just moist enough for eggs. I often add some sand to it to loosen it up. The brand name is Bed-A-Beast. If you really want some, I will be happy to ship it to you.

I set up most of our Diplodactylus like this. I don't always use 100% sand. I often cut it with coconut fiber to create a loamy substrate.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/coconutfiber.jpg

Jan Grathwohl
03-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Thanx a lot for the info Nathan

Brandon
03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Very cool nathan! i used to set my tesselatus up the exact same way except in shoeboxes because they were so darn small. Galeatus are a bit bigger, right? Also, when do you expect to have offspring available? I'll e-mail you off list today when i get a chance 8)

AM Gecko
03-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Nathan
Awesome job. Those guys are in heaven in that set up. I cannot wait to get more. :wink:
Alberto

Brandon
03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm curious as to how they compare in size to tesselatus....think you could snap a quick pic of a galeatus in your hand for comparison? :D

Leland
04-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Nathan,
You'll probably think i'm a fool for asking, but who sold/traded you an adult pair of D.galeatus? Beautiful animals.

Justin
04-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Nice setup Nathan.