PDA

View Full Version : Corkbarks....

JimH
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I've a chance to get a a pair of corkbarks from one of my dealer friends. I've experience with fims and henkels but am not too sure about height requirements for these guys. Do they need a set-up like phantasticus/ebenaui or more like fim/henkeli? Also, I would guess that a 20 gal high tank is the minimum space for a pair?

Justin
04-05-2005, 10:02 AM
They need to be kept more like U. guentheri. tank setup with lots of cork and thick branches. As for the tank the taller the better, so I would give them a bit taller than the 20 gallon high.

Hope this helps,
Justin

miguel camacho!
04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
i keep a trio in a 30 gal tall, and they have done very well in there. still, i plan on building an extension for their enclosure that will probably add at least another 10 gal to it. and as far as keeping them like guentheri, that often doesnt mean much to us americans because guentheri are pretty difficult to come by. i keep mine very similar to how i keep my mossies.

JimH
04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Pardon me for showing my lack of experience with uros, but in my herp room, my corkbarks are situated in a 30 gal tall tank right next to my fimbriatus 40gal tall. The ambient air temp around their cages goes down to 66F at night and climbs to about 83F in the day. I'm also keeping other herps that require higher temps and they are situated at the other end of the room. BTW, since you have a trio in a 30 gal tall, could I add another female to the pair of corkbarks or will their be a confrontation between the females? Also, will the male only breed one female or switch off? Can't add another female for another month, but let me know if it's OK.

miguel camacho!
04-11-2005, 03:33 PM
well, from what ive observed, there is extremely little to no aggression between females. all ive noticed from them is one female will vocalize if the other tries to climb over her or something along those lines. i would be careful about having them in the 80's. i keep mine in the 70's for the most part and they've done great for me. so if you're gonna keep them in a 30 gal tall, i wouldnt imagine another female would hurt.

JimH
04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks MC,
Actually, I used a temp probe to get an actual temp in the corkbark cage and while the ambient air temp read 82F(this ambient air temp is located 5 feet above the corkbark tank), the temp inside the corkbark tank was 74F. I don't have thermometers in every cage and didn't think to realize that the ambient air thermo was higher than where the corkbarks sit. Perhaps the shelf where the ambient thermo sits would be better suited for ciliatus! LOL! BTW, that ambient air thermo reading is as warm as it will ever get all year. Most nights see it drop into the mid to high 60's and an occassional high 50's during the winter. Again, thanks for the helpful info.

smallskiluv-tha-rhaco
07-13-2005, 12:36 AM
For reals?? Cuz one keeper told me that Corkbarks were actually semiarid species & the only ones found in dry or less humid habitats since Ive always thought corkbarks were also found in the same habitats as other Uros... Thats odd but can someone who knows a brief natural history on corkbarks explain to me where theyre actually from (like what part of Madagascar) & also what type of habitat they were discovered in?.. Thanks! Smalls...

GeckoFiend
07-13-2005, 12:45 AM
I would be very careful about putting ciliatus at 82, as that is very close to their temp limit. I think most keepers try to keep them under 80 to be safe.