PDA

View Full Version : northern spiny tailed gecko(strophurus ciliaris ciliaris)

french kid
04-07-2005, 07:12 PM
could someone tell me if I could handle a northern spiny tailed gecko, or that i can't?? :? And what would be the best subtrate for them??? :wink: thx

chris_f
04-08-2005, 07:50 AM
i dont know much about them as ive never kept them but i dont think there very handable geckos.
ask about them in the diplo section near the top of the forum index and do a search for them on the forum useing the search button and you should get plenty of info.

Geckoworld
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
No they shouldn't be handled at all. Even when cleaning them out I do not handle them. They are usually on a branch and I simply move them with the branch.

Brandon
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
they shouldn't be handled too much for stress related reasons, but every once in a while i get mine out, it probably just depends on the individual gecko--mine are super calm so i enjoy letting the crawl around on my hand for a bit every once in a while :D

french kid
04-09-2005, 09:59 PM
k i think that the northern spiny tailed gecko looks awesome, but if youre saying that they get stressed real easily should i still get a northern spiny tailed gecko or i should go with a crested gecko? And what i meant to say about handling is could i just like let him walk on my arm for not long. thx :wink:

Justin
11-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Keeping different species together isn't a good idea, even if the care requirements are similar.

Justin
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
No, i wouldn't like to know more.

DDReptiles
11-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Well MY community Terraruim has been successfull for 3 years now I Panther gecko male & 5 other species females..If I wanted 2 I can mix my Rankin's dragon in there cause she gets along with the gecko's..but he has his own 29 gallon with a egyptian sandfish. Saves energy & space is great.Would you like to know more.A community is more exciting to me than a single species in racks like action figures.

You do know Rankin Dragons occasionally eat Diplodactylus in the wild, I would be scared if I was those Panther geckos.

rhacoboy
11-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Well MY community Terraruim has been successfull for 3 years now I Panther gecko male & 5 other species females..If I wanted 2 I can mix my Rankin's dragon in there cause she gets along with the gecko's..but he has his own 29 gallon with a egyptian sandfish. Saves energy & space is great.Would you like to know more.A community is more exciting to me than a single species in racks like action figures.
not really a good idea.
Also, Lets try to keep this thread on topic, I have no experience with Strophurus but I don't imagine they'd be very handleable.

rhacoboy
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
k i think that the northern spiny tailed gecko looks awesome, but if youre saying that they get stressed real easily should i still get a northern spiny tailed gecko or i should go with a crested gecko? And what i meant to say about handling is could i just like let him walk on my arm for not long. thx :wink:

Oh, to answer this Q I'd say get cresties first. They are a great starter gecko and can be handled as much as you want. They're also significantly cheaper. I believe the Spiny Tailed's go for around $1300+/pr USD. Cresteds are much cheaper.

PassPort
11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
My S williamsi and S strophurus seem to be very tame and handleable as far as geckos go, although none of my geckos are true "pets" in the traditional sense - they are all handled only as much as they allow, and I never push that limit.

My male williamsi actually seems to enjoy being handled, but that's mainly b/c he's quite the beggar and knows that my hand = food.

Geckos and Goannas
11-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I think if you were to start out with any strophs it should be with S. williamsi. They are much cheaper. I wouldnt really handle them tho. As for the off topic subject wich I hate to touch but I feel I have to. Please dont mix the Rankins with the other speacies. They do feed on other reptiles in the wild. Thats like me puting Diplodactylus geckos and juvinile Pagona sp. in with my Varanus pilbarensis and V. tristis (one of their main diets in some areas). And Im very sure the Sandfish (Scincus scincus) is very stressed out from the Rankins running all over him while he is in the sand.

Geckos and Goannas
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
A community is more exciting to me than a single species in racks like action figures.

As for that I dont mix species and dont keep them in racks. I keep them in quasi natural terrariums by single species and its more fun and safe for everyone. I can send you pics to prove it to you.

Geck82
11-07-2008, 06:20 AM
I still looking for more candidates for my thriving community.Like these Strophurus would be beautiful and I have The money to introduce one in BUT I THINK about the animals 1ST.So I know better.BUT Im looking for as many species as possible to make it happen.MONEY is NO OBJECT.Its incredibly.exciting,even people I bring over are amazed at the different colors & cute@iness.

Shouldn`t you be worried about the welfare of the animals involved rather than having the money to buy gecko`s as potential food items for other gecko`s???

Rob D'heu
11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Ya that's awsome like they have at pet stores.Im not disencouraging great efforts those who can do it.But I can't & won't do that many waterbowls/clean ups & peple discussing spendintg $1000 a month on crickets alone.I clean only 3 waterbowls and maybe 4 if I When TO GET into THE ARBOREALS.But I've gotten lots of crap from different sites like calling me JURRASSIC PARK. That hurt.But some handlers are interested out there & that's who im trying to reach.Ill pay people just to say maybe.

If you don't have the money to keep you animals properly then it is best to quit(my opinion) , If you don't have the place to set up more vivs then leave it with one and one species:?. I keep all my animals per species in their individual cage (you can search for my topics) . The fact that you animals get along with the others doesn't mean that it is ok(stress is not always displayed) .

Geckos and Goannas
11-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Ya that's awsome like they have at pet stores.Im not disencouraging great efforts those who can do it.But I can't & won't do that many waterbowls/clean ups & peple discussing spendintg $1000 a month on crickets alone.I clean only 3 waterbowls and maybe 4 if I When TO GET into THE ARBOREALS.But I've gotten lots of crap from different sites like calling me JURRASSIC PARK. That hurt.But some handlers are interested out there & that's who im trying to reach.Ill pay people just to say maybe.

If you dont want to take care of that many animals dont get that many.

Justin
11-07-2008, 08:53 AM
So all you are trying to do is cram is as many geckos/lizards as you want because you don't want to clear out seperate tanks and don;t want to spend more on feeders.

On another thread you say your wanting to add a C. angulifer to the mix as well, a gecko that's well documented will readily feed on other geckos, yet you say you're carefully researched?

You also don't want to listen to all the people telling you it's a bad idea and just want to hear people saying it's great.
There are so many factors involved in setting up a successful community tank that you obviously haven't considered. You want to put your Rankin's dragon in there as well as she "get's on" with the other lizards? Did you come down one morning and they were playing chess? How can you know they 'get on'?Unless you've just stuck them together and seeing what happened?

I am very frustrated by your posts and saddened for the reptiles involved.

Sebastian
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I am very frustrated by your posts and saddened for the reptiles involved.

I have to agree with you,Justin. Itīs really sad whatīs happening here.
As already mentioned stress is not (or not obviously) displayed and reptilies tend to die slowly.

kobegasol29 you really should take all the tips serious.

Best,

Sebastian

Knobtailman
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello, just to try to keep it on topic, I think handling Strophurus depends on the individual animal and it's personality. By the way isn't there supposed to be another thread on this other debate? By the way what did you say you say about my diplos:fight:?

PassPort
11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
guys, we've all tried talking sense into this guy and he just won't listen. good luck

DDReptiles
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Ya that's awsome like they have at pet stores.Im not disencouraging great efforts those who can do it.But I can't & won't do that many waterbowls/clean ups & peple discussing spendintg $1000 a month on crickets alone.I clean only 3 waterbowls and maybe 4 if I When TO GET into THE ARBOREALS.But I've gotten lots of crap from different sites like calling me JURRASSIC PARK. That hurt.But some handlers are interested out there & that's who im trying to reach.Ill pay people to understand.Any Taker's.

Wait, you just said Money was NO object?

If you are to damn lazy to clean a few extra water bowls and make sure your animals are kept in the best conditions possible then you need to go buy some more action figures.

How the hell does keeping 10 geckos in one cage or 10 different cages save you money on crickets? You still have 10 geckos to feed? What are you doing, going to the pet store buying a dollars worth of crickets and just letting them all loose in the cage? Then the fittest geckos win or something?

Instead of trying to buy more geckos, why don't you take care of the ones you have? I hope no one sells you any more geckos until your correct your husbandry practices!

Post some pics of your cage!!

PassPort
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
that's it. I've officially given up

Sebastian
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Donīt feed the troll ?

Geckos and Goannas
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
FINE I would ll my gecko's are similar in size & its a joy to see how they get along even more than with there own kind.The Rankin's is in seperate 29 gallon & my Gecko town is in the 40 gallon tank/ample space.I have another empty 29 & a empty 20 gallon for just in case.Trust me its cool.REGARDS E.

Put some of them in the 20 and 29 then! And I dont know what you mean by AMBASSADOR for comunity tanks. It dosnt sound like you are very good at it. Im sorry if Im blunt but really! And who are those EXPERTS? Just because its NOT FAILING YET DOSNT mean it WONT! To me a camunity tank is 1.1 Dendrobates azureus and a 1.1 D. tinctorius in naturalistic 40 gal breeder with 4 coconut shells (for hiding)and plenty of food. Two species of Dart frog that have been proven to be able to coexist. not ten geckos cramed in a 40 breeder and the owner wanting to add more! And just because they share the same enviorment DOSNT meen that they ARE compatible! Like I said about the Diplos, Pagona, And Ackie in a previous post. None will coexist! They EAT each other! Ill make it more simple. Its like putting feeder comits (goldfish) and Cichlids (large agresive fish) in a small tank. Someone is going to loose. Please! Please! Please! for your sake and mostly thiers! DONT ADD ANY MORE AND SEPERATE THEM!!!!

PassPort
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Devin,
there are several gecko species that can coexist and breed just fine without any visible signs of stress or aggression. This does, however require knowledge of the individual species (ie: behaviors, ecological niche, and observation of each individual animal), and a proper set up. Coming up with combos has taken much thought, consideration, and trial/error on the part of myself and fellow herpetoculturists. For the sake of other's geckos and to not encourage certain individuals I will not be posting any of my success stories.

I'd never say that mixed species vivs are a bad idea, and I do agree that creating a well designed and healthy one is one of the highest accomplishments that an avid herper can have. I will say, however, that without intelligent thinking, they are a horrible idea and I do think that Eli's "viv" (if you can call it that) is an unhealthy disgusting gecko prison.

A proper mixed species set up involves different species that can coexist but will normally not interact with one another.

If anyone is seriously interested and actually willing to listen they can PM me for more info.

Geckos and Goannas
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I wasnt really saying I didnt think any geckos couldnt coexist. Im sure U. phantasticus and U. ebenaui could easly. i just didnt elaborate on that. I personally dont do mixed species vivs. I just prefer them to be alone.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Martin sorry that this guys taking over your thread and that I'm even contributing to it but this guy needs told how it is.

I kept mine on a substrate of peatmoss and sand. . like a 40% peat and 60% sand mix and I never handled mine.

Devin - I second that I would LOVE to know the names of these "experts" that dubbed him and ambassador because it seems more of a self proclaimed title thats really not needed or welcomed.

kobe - If your looking to get to the people that want to know about your cages stop posting about it and let them come to you. . then when they dont move on. No one is wanting you taking over their posts with your "I want to keep these with my 30 other species will you please sell to me". . hell you dont even pay attention to the age of the post some you have tried to post have been from 2005. Your not going to get the pat on the back your looking for. If you had something to offer the community be it pictures, your personal breeding success then maybe you would get different replies. But with your posts wanting to buy everything you see to put with everything else you have with obvious disregard for the animals is just a waist of forum space.

DDReptiles
11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Can you try and put some time into making your posts somewhat readable.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM

Thank you. . . I've tried saying that as well but among other things it seems to not get threw to him.

clint545
11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I still think this pretty much sums it all up. I always have this pop in my head when a certain someone posts...:)

It is like sticking pencils in my ears, everytime.

It just hurts!

PassPort
11-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Derek, I love you. Thank you for saying what we're all thinking.

Geckos and Goannas
11-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Lets just start a comunity Yes or no thread somewhere else. Im tired of taking over other threads. And I apalogize to French kid. Im sorry we took over your thread.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Lets just start a comunity Yes or no thread somewhere else. Im tired of taking over other threads. And I apalogize to French kid. Im sorry we took over your thread.

Second. . . problem is no matter where it is this will still happen. . I guess we all just need to block him hahahahahaha.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Clint your from canada I expect that poop SH-head.Im from the Bay area US of A.

What the hell does this even mean?

Justin
11-08-2008, 04:18 AM
I bought a Female Oedura species few days ago.

It's almost like you're tring to wind us up.

clint545
11-08-2008, 07:56 AM
What the hell does this even mean?

Blake that seems to be the common theme with him anymore...
I really get the feeling anymore that we shouldn't feed the troll anymore.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Clint I know we shouldnt. . but he just gets under everyones nails and I dont see any mods doing anything about it. . . What and who is a poge?

clint545
11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Clint I know we shouldnt. . but he just gets under everyones nails and I dont see any mods doing anything about it. . . What and who is a poge?

I know I feel the same way. It's just getting tiresome to see some good decent threads get ruined by one person. I'm sure we all feel the same way about it.
Really makes me support the use of Ritalin:)
And makes you realise that a few commas, periods and spaces go a long way sometimes too:)

mat.si
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I've just noticed this poor little thread going straight to hell.
OK, now I'm pissed. Time to do something about this.

Eli (kobegasol29)!
STOP TAKING OVER OLD THREADS AND TAKING THEM TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC.
If you want to discuss your gecko keeping practices, start your own thread!

STOP PUTTING YOUR WANTED ADDS (OFFERING MONEY FOR GECKOS) IN THE FORUMS!
If you are looking for something, place a (free) wanted add in the Classified section. I've already told you this before. Don't make me repeat myself.:-x:-x

You've done this with every thread you posted in. One more time and I'm banning you for a week.

I guess English is your mother tongue. So, if you post in the forums, use the kind of English that people can understand.

And to all the others.
I know it's hard, but please just try to ignore the off-topic posts of this sort and report them!

One more off-topic post and I'm locking the thread.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards, Matjaz

PassPort
11-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Matjaz,
you're like some sort of masobe breeding Jesus. thank you!

RFB2
11-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank you Mat.si

You said what I have been thinking for months.

Rob