PDA

View Full Version : Help with the mystery Gecko.....Pachydactylus???

Banshee
06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I've been trying to identify the geckos I had a while ago. They were labeled as Namib Sand Geckos, They had smooth skin and no webbing between toes. I really want to get more. I don't know what they are to begin looking. Can anyone Identify, or come close. Maybe even more extensive resouces??
Christine
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/BabyBanshee/billgecko.jpg [/img]

Geckoworld
06-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Christine,
Are you local to Namibia?
It looks alot like Stenodactylus. A closer photo would be good ;)

Banshee
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your reply. First , I'm actually in Florida but at the time I lived in Virginia. I have a Stenadactylus pair now. The ones iin the photo had a flatter head and eyes, also had a much shorter and fatter tail. The toes were shorter and fatter. That's the only clear picture that I have. These two were pets and purchased at a Reptile show. I didn't take many pics when I had them. I took a lot more of the Iguana at the time. My best guess is that they might be some sort of Pachydactylus. That would loosely fit the region that they came from. Also might be the explanation for being labeled Namib Sand Geckos. They lived in sand, and possibly Namibian region. I can't seem to find anywhere where there are any pictures of the Pachydactylus, there are only a few pictures that I've found. Any ideas of where to look? Or an opinion? This is the only other pic, that's clear, that I have
Christine
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/BabyBanshee/NewImage.jpg

Reptiluvr
04-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Check the GGA site if you haven't already. http://www.gekkota.com/

It looks like an overfed Stenodactylus in body, but that head definitely looks like a typical Pachydactylus. That's the only response I can really give. Not that good with these species.

Banshee
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info. That was where I found the pics of the Pachy's. I guess I either had some sort of inbred Geckoes or one that I happened upon as a quirk. I'm going to do more research into the whole Pachydactylus variations. That, more than the Stenodactylus is my best guess.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sebastian
04-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Hmmm ,looks like Crossobamon orientalis to me , bute itīs just a guess.

Sebastian

kenya_1977
04-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree with Ray... still looks like some sort of Stenodactylus.

ptenopus
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Its a Stenodactylus for sure. I've kept C. orientalis, and they are much larger.
Looks like Steno sthenodactylus.

herperboy
04-11-2006, 09:47 PM
If it is a S. sthenodactylus then it has some AMAZING colors.

danscantle
04-11-2006, 10:54 PM
100% sure it's Stenodactylus sthenodactylus. The easy way to rule out Pachydactylus is to look at the bottom of the toes. Do the toes have scales which form teeth or combs that run perpendicular to the toe? That means it's Stenodactylus.

Incidentally, Crossobamon are small geckos with heterogeneous scalation (large turbercles surrounded by smaller scales) I kept TRUE C. orientalis years ago, and they were not much bigger than S. sthenodactylus. Many of the animals circulating as C. orientalis were infact S. petrii, unless the synonym S. stenurus has been revoked. A lot of us who were keeping these large S. petrii believed they were large Crossobamon - imagine our surprise when true C. orientalis landed Stateside.

To make matters more confusing, many of the animals circulating as S. petrii are infact S. sthenodactylus.

Stenodactylus sthenodactylus has an enormous ranges that ranges from the west coast of Africa into the Middle East. There appear to be several geographic races/morphs/forms that may or may not actually represent distinct species or subspecies. Since that part of the world is not the safest place for Americans to do thorough field work we may not know the exact constiuents of the genus Stenodactylus for quite some time.

To conclude - the animal in your picture is currently classified as Stenodactylus sthenodactylus.