PDA

View Full Version : Strophurus sex ratio

Justin
06-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi all,
I was just wondering if you Strophurus breeders could tell me if you have noticed an even or uneven sex ratio within the genus?

Thanks for any help,
Justin

Jerry Peebles
06-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Justin-

That's a good question, so I took a look back at the past five years of my notes on Strophurus. Out of approximately 300 hatchlings (from six species) that I produced and was able to eventually know the sex on, I ended up with just about exactly and even ratio of males to females on most species. Spinigerus were a bit female heavy and c. ciliaris a bit male heavy certain years. Most of these were incubated at about 82 F (28 C). There is some evidence that Strophurus are TSD (Temp. sexed determined), and I've played around with this a bit, however, it will take some time to learn more. For now, 82 F seems to work so well for most species that there is not much point in changing.

Hope this helps,

Jerry.

Justin
06-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks Jerry. Much appreciated. Have you managed to level out the ciliaris and spinigerus ratio now?

Jerry Peebles
06-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Justin-

I have not bred spinigerus long enough to have had the chance to do any experimenting yet. Plus, I'm not too disappointed with the sex ratio so far. As for ciliairis, I have played around changing the incubating temps a bit and honestly have not noticed much difference. Perhaps a more radical change is needed to make a difference. At any rate, nothing I'm doing is what I would call scientific, yet I would like to eventually figure out to what extent certain species are (or aren't) TSD.

Regards,

Jerry.

Nathan Hall
06-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Perhaps a more radical change is needed to make a difference

I think that is probably correct. There just aren't enough folks out there who are willing to do this. I'm afraid that the data keepers are the minority. I do my best to keep records of this kind of information.