PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Q about S. williamsi

LarryLockard
06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
I wanted some expert opinions on this matter. I haven't gotten any eggs from my S. williamsi pair this year, and wonder what I could do to improve my chances. I thought that I cooled them long enough this winter. I kept it in the low 70's at day and in the high 50's to low 60's at night. I usually keep them seperate, but as of 2 weeks ago, I decided to put them together full time, still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Strophurus
06-22-2005, 11:48 AM
hello, well first to say after 2 weeks i think it is a bit early to say anything about eggs, still wait a bit longer.
did you see any mating action from the male ?. how old are your williamsi ?

regards stefan

LarryLockard
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I haven't seen any direct mating action, but the male seems to be interested. They're about 3 years old. Last year was their first year breeding and I got 6 eggs out of them.

Jerry Peebles
06-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Larry-

Your cooling should have been fine. I don't think cooling is as critical with williamsi as it is with the other species. Williamsi generally are the easiest to breed and most prolific. You did not say how long you cooled for, but I would reccomend around 2 months and make sure you shorted the light cycle as well. But again, with williamsi, this is probably not as important. As Stefan stated, it will take longer than two weeks for the female to lay. Even though I see williamsi mate much more often than other species, you won't see it all the time. So just keep them together and hope for the best. If you are not giving them a basking area, I would recommend that. Good luck and I bet you will have eggs soon!

Jerry.

LarryLockard
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I keep them normally seperated in 19qt. Rubbermaid containers, which measure approx.
10"W x 10.5"H x 16"L, a section of the lid is removed and replaced with wire mesh. I then have a 20W halogen lamp over each cage with a fluorescent light on top too. And of course my house stays in the mid 70's for most of the day.

LarryLockard
06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the input,everyone. :mrgreen: Jerry I figured I'd either get my answer in here, or drop you a line. By the way, the other species you sent me are just terrific, I really like the colors on both of them