PDA

View Full Version : DNA check for male or female Nephrurus Amyae?

s-holden
06-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Is it possible to retrieve blood from a young unsexable baby Nephrurus Amyae and send it to a DNA lab to identify if it's a male or female? How much would this cost and how accurate is this?

Nathan Hall
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Sure, but it is expensive. What is the situation? Do you have juveniles that you want to sell as sexable?

Brandon
06-29-2005, 02:20 AM
It seems like this is more trouble than it's worth--why not just wait a few months?

Nathan Hall
06-29-2005, 10:43 AM
DNA analysis would work, but chromosomal testing (caryotyping) would be cheaper.

s-holden
06-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Testing maybe expensive or cheaper but isn't it worth doing? Why would any breeder in their right mind sell true unsexed babies or juveniles for $500-$700 when they could be females which they could sell for much more. As you all know female amyae have a market value of $1500+ and even more overseas.

Nathan, have you sold any unsexed amyae in the past? Did any lucky buyers tell you they turned out to be females?

Nathan Hall
06-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Hoping to produce my first amyae this year, so I couldn't tell you. Breeders sell unsexed juveniles all of the time. Sure, you can make more money if you sell sexed animals, but many hobbyists don't worry about the higher value as much.

Testing maybe expensive or cheaper but isn't it worth doing?
That's subjective. Like Brandon said, you could raise them for several months and sell them at a premium. Also, it might be beneficial if you have large numbers of amyae, but there aren't too many breeders who produce large numbers.

Roman-Moniz
07-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Hello All, Nathan has asked me to be a part of this site so I will start with this subject. DNA Sexing will not happen in the next 10-20 years it cost too much, no breeder in his right mind would pay 200-500 per animal for sexing when we can just wait plus the labs that could pull it off would want thousands for set up and and to QC. it. DNA testing works when there is money in the Results there is no money in sexing geckos. It could work but who is going to pay for it? Not me and it would help me out alot. :twisted: