PDA

View Full Version : what is a good substrate for a lepidodactylus lugubris tank.

kansasboy22
07-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I am wonder in if my set up for a mourning gecko is right. I have a layer of large rock, then a layer of small rock then, some moss on top should Iadd a layer of soil or is it fine as it is. :?

Elizabeth Freer
07-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Lee---

A 100% peat moss substrate, or 100% cocofiber (retains moisture longer) substrate or a mix of the two, will be much better for these endearing mourning geckos, definitely better than several layers of rocks. (Crickets can hide in the rocks and be difficult for your mourning geckos to find.) You can top this with a layer of moss if you wish. Another technique I use is placing their crickets in a 16 oz clear plastic tumbler. I use the hexagonal betta container. Use a large pothos planted in a pot to assist in retaining humidty. Spray once daily. Additionally Lepidodactylus lugubris require no special lighting or heating as long as your room lows do not go below about 68 F. Eggs WILL continue to hatch at those temperatures :)

You will find a care sheet on the Lls at the Global Gecko Association website, www.gekkota.com.