PDA

View Full Version : Substrates??

ReptileMan27
07-29-2005, 03:43 AM
I am using newspaper for my tokays now but want to use something nicer but also want something safe. I use to use repti-bark and watched them nearly swallow peices a few times and got worried and stopped using it. I would like to use it again but not sure how safe it is?. I am most concered about my tokays safety because I love them to death. Are their any safe substrates for tokays??.

Tokayman
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
i use repti-bark, and haven't ever had a problem, mostly because she's a very precise eater. lol. :lol: i think that if they got any in their mouth, that they would probably spit it out anyway. you might try bed a beast, but i don't know how good that is for tokay's. :shock:

hey and thanks for recommending this site! i love it!!! :P

ReptileMan27
07-29-2005, 08:02 PM
i use repti-bark, and haven't ever had a problem, mostly because she's a very precise eater. lol. :lol: i think that if they got any in their mouth, that they would probably spit it out anyway. you might try bed a beast, but i don't know how good that is for tokay's. :shock:

hey and thanks for recommending this site! i love it!!! :PAs soon as I saw they had a tokay forum I fell in love and know you would like it to. How long have you had your tokay on the repti-bark?.

Tokayman
07-29-2005, 10:17 PM
she's been on it ever since i got her really, which is about three months now. i'd give it another try, i really don't think you'll have any problems. :o

ReptileMan27
07-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Your probly right because I never had any problems before but I just worry to much :oops:.

Tokayman
07-30-2005, 12:25 PM
hey awesome avatar! how the heck do you put an avatar on???? :x

ReptileMan27
07-30-2005, 04:14 PM
hey awesome avatar! how the heck do you put an avatar on???? :xYou got to type in all the info for it,website and all the info on it.

Tokayman
07-30-2005, 04:45 PM
man that sucks, i can't get it to work. :x

ReptileMan27
07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
man that sucks, i can't get it to work. :x Try a different one because for whatever reason the first one I tryed didnt work but I tryed this one and it worked. good luck :)

Tokayman
07-31-2005, 10:38 AM
so you just put in the url of the pic??? what if there's one you want saved in My Pictures?

ReptileMan27
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
so you just put in the url of the pic??? what if there's one you want saved in My Pictures?I had to find the info on them because you cant do it on hear like on reptile forums.

Tokayman
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
i'll try it..... :?

billewicz
08-03-2011, 10:38 PM
OK, so back to the topic .....
I have over 80 Tokay on Cyprus mulch because it holds moisture without that funky rot that the Repti-bark seems to get.

Good luck,

Michael

nayrgaijin
08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Is Cypress Mulch carried at local reptile / animal stores or is it at home improvement stores?

billewicz
08-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Reptile stores do carry Cyprus mulch. Also, the Kamlar Corp. distributes a safe for playgrounds, etc. Cyprus through independent nurseries that is used by me and other large scale breeders.

252-443-2576
Mulch | Kamlar Wholesale Premium Mulch and Bark (http://www.Kamlar.com)

Also, for better pricing and sizes of cork bark, look to Maryland Cork Co, Inc.
It comes in many sizes at a fraction of the cost from the pet store and can be easily shipped UPS.
Maryland Cork, Maufacturer of Granulated Cork, Home Page (http://www.MarylandCork.com)

Ask for Mare, and tell her I sent you.
Phone: (800) 662 2675
Phone: (410) 398 2955
Fax: (410) 392 9433

Good luck and all the best,

Michael Billewicz

Riverside Reptiles
08-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Cypress mulch is very cheap and easy to find at pretty much any Home Depot or Lowes type store...at least here on the East coast. You can get huge bags of it for under $2. Out west, where cypress is not so available it is more expensive and harder to find as it has to be shipped from other areas in the country.

Simple peat or a peat/sand mix is a fine substrate as well. Even potting soil works fine. Or a mix with cypress and peat or cypress and potting soil (just make sure the potting soil is organic and doesn't contain and fertilizers). Orchid bark is another mulch type material that works well. I like a naturalistic look and use bamboo leaf litter on top of peat in many of my enclosures. Anything that will hold humidity well is ok really. Since tokay don't often hang out on the floor of their enclosure, substrate for them is not nearly as big of an issue as it is with more terrestrial species.

billewicz
08-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey thanks Ethan,

I've seen some big box store mulch with added chemical rot inhibitors. Not something I'd want to expose my Tokay to. You just have to pay attention.

The stuff I mentioned above has been used by big breeders with hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory on this mulch for years. It's $5 a big bag which is still better than the $20 I paid for a little pillow sized bag of this stuff from the pet store.

nayrgaijin
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
You have both provided some great information!
This will definitely give me the opportunity to explore different substrates, thank you!

diverdown
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I am using Coco Soft from Carib sea. It is made from coconut husks. I use the fine chip variety for my Tokays and my crested geckos.

~S

nayrgaijin
08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Could you post a photo with it? I haven't seen that kind and am curious what it looks like. :)

diverdown
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Don't have any pictures with me at work, but here is a link to the CaribSea website:

Blue Iguana Coco Soft? Fine Chip (http://www.caribsea.com/blue-iguana/pages/products/coco-soft-fine-chip.html)