PDA

View Full Version : Strophurus intermedius Hatchling

Strophurus
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Just found this little Strophurus intermedius Hatchling ( Eastern ). I am very proud of it, because last year i had not that succes ( 11 eggs were fertile, but nothing hatched ), but this season it looks good and seven more are on the way, hopefully they will all hatch that good like the one here.
so just enjoy the picture.....
regards stefan

http://www.reptilwelt.de/images/intermediusbaby1.jpg

GeckoFiend
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Congratulations on the new baby :)

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Woohoo! I sure do love these guys. Great job, Stefan!!!

DanLay
08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Stefan.
Which changes did you make? Temperatures, incubation medium or both?
Congratulations on the hatchling anyway and good luck with the others.
Dan

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Wish I could try that medium you use...my little method seems to work though.

GREAT JOB STEFAN!

Strophurus
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Hello and thanks for the congrats.
to Dan: well last year my female breeder was about 1,5 years when i startet the season, so i think maybe a bit to young i have talked to different breeders, some are also here on the forum, and the age could have been one reason ( all eggs were fertile, but the hatchlings died in the egg i opend all eggs after a time of course not to early, and they looked grown well in the egg but they had no power to get out ). for this season i cooled them a bit longer ( 3 months) and i droped the night temps lower than before. for the incubation medium i use ( for all my geckos now ) a substrate called " Seramis " in Germany, gardener shops sell it here for plants, it stores the water for room plants. my experience is that it keeps the moist very good and it is not to fine so the air circulation is very good, another good thing is, when it tries to dry out, you can see it very good, because the color of the substrate gets lighter, so you have a control that the eggs not dry out.
i am looking forward to see the others hopefully hatch, it looks good so far the other egg of the clutch may hatch soon. and the other clutches should hatch every 3 weeks now. the female is still laying so i hope there will be more eggs soon. i posted a mating picture of the intermedius a few months ago maybe you will remember. i also have 2 other females and males, but they are to young for breeding right now, but they are from a different bloodline so i can hopefully build up a good group now.
as my experience until now is, that str. intermedius is a bit tricky to breed, also not many are in captive as my kwoledge is.
regard stefan

DanLay
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi.
Thanks for the information Stefan.
Best of luck with the other eggs,
Dan

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I just adore S. intermedius. We will be acquiring a few more in the fall.

oscar
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
huge congrats to you Stephan! love to hear the process and the perserverance you have put into this.

Scott

Brandon
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
great job stefan! very well done.

Jerry Peebles
08-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Congratulations, Stefan. I know they gave you a real headache last year. Nice looking baby. I've found that intermedius grow slower and take longer to reach maturity than many of the other Strophurus species. Also, I've found that a good cooling period is very important to have success breeding them. My oldest female I've had for about five years and she has had her best year breeding this year. Each year she has produced more eggs than the previous year and the ratio of eggs that hatch goes up each year. So I really think it's a mistake to try and breed intermedius at too young of an age. Anyway, good job and good luck with the rest of the eggs.

Jerry.

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I really think it's a mistake to try and breed intermedius at too young of an age
Under 2 years?

Jerry Peebles
08-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Nathan-

I would say that any other Strophurus species I've bred is more than ready at 18 months. However, with intermeius, they might breed that soon, but they will do better a year or two after that.

Justin
08-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Hearty congratulatiosn Stefan, do you house them more or less the same as your williamsi?

Strophurus
08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
hello again and thanks of course

to Justin: i house them nearly the same as my williamsi and also the most other Strophurus i keep, but i try to keep them generally a bit cooler.

regards stefan

Justin
08-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info Stefan, what temps do you keep them at?