PDA

View Full Version : Dead Egg...?!

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I went to look in my incubator and found one egg with what looked to be water drops on it, and the other indented...

First thing I do is take the indented one out, and cut it open with clippers...to find a dead baby Amyae...looked fully developed but something went wrong...? What? Any ideas...this is my first and im sure not my last, but I just don't get it. I took pictures, but my camera is dead...

Now as for the other egg, what are the water drops from? Is my eggs "sweating"? They were suppose to hatch around the 3rd of August.

Anyone with ideas?

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 09:18 PM
what are the water drops from? Is my eggs "sweating"?
Reverse osmosis. Yes, the egg is "sweating". This relieves internal pressure and allows the baby to hatch out of the egg. It can also be a sign of embryo death. If the egg takes on too much water and the embryo is dead, this can happen as well. In some instances, it is too late. Many eggs do not noticeably "sweat". Why did you cut the other egg open?

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
this is my first and im sure not my last
Unfortunately, you are correct. It is hard to answer why this happened. Maybe the incubation medium was too moist or the embryo was too weak to hatch. This occurs in nature as well.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I think the baby was to weak to be honest...I know its not to moist because I did the same thing as I have done with the rest of mine...But you never know, maybe I did spray the lid one time with to much...but I dunno!

Man Nate, I wish I had all the knowledge in the world ;-)

I cut the other egg open because one time before this same thing happened, and it seemed like the baby could not cut through the egg, so I helped and the baby literally could not cut through, and I assisted and the baby lived! But this one was different...something was wrong.

And the egg the is "sweating" seems not normal and has not increased in size like all the rest of mine did...

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Many eggs do not noticeably "sweat".

Well, its VERY noticeable...id say that there are like 2 drops about the size of a pencil point.

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I wish I had all the knowledge in the world
Please! I learn something new every single day, and I'm definitely not afraid to ask. Like you, I'm just thirsty/hungry for knowledge. You should see my gecko literature collection. It takes up a wall in the office!!! Also, you will learn tons from experience. I think you are doing pretty well for having only had geckos for a year or so.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 10:25 PM
I think you are doing pretty well for having only had geckos for a year or so.

Thanks so much Nate, I agree man...you live and learn. I am a perfectionist though and try doing everything as good as possible, I just never thought I would see one of MY babies die...you know?

Its good to learn...I have read alot in forums...

Nathan Hall
08-01-2005, 10:27 PM
I just never thought I would see one of MY babies die...you know?

It is tough to find a perfectly formed embryo dead in the egg. You never get used to that (hopefully).

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey Nate, your at 600 post ;-)

I know man, really depressed, just showed my girl and she was all like "ohhhh"
"poor thing"...and she teared up a little.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Hmm, the other one was the same...I don't get it. Anyone know why there would be two perfect babies, that just didn't hatch out?

JBReptiles
08-04-2005, 07:33 PM
maybe too much calcium and couldent cut it..my crestie eggs died on me my first ones too..they muct have been too weak.i sucks but what can you do...

Ken Bartenfeld
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Thats what I was thinking...

Nathan Hall
08-04-2005, 08:02 PM
It could've been over-calcification in conjunction with the eggs possibly drying out some. Who knows? Just taking some stabs in the dark. There are many possibilities. Like I said, it does happen. If it continues to happen, then you need to analyze it more.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Yea, it was two from the same girl...thats why I am so...you know :oops: :cry:

Nathan Hall
08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Was it her first clutch?

Ken Bartenfeld
08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
It might have been, I think so...I would have to ask Tuttle. He went on vacation though...

I had one Amyae (virgin) lay fertile eggs...of course after I put a male in with her. Some say that they never lay good eggs when its the first time...

I just hated seeing two dead, it really hurt :!: