PDA

View Full Version : levis levis breeding?

JBReptiles
08-06-2005, 04:08 AM
what should a breeding be like...i saw when we put them together that the female would rase her tail and shake it...is this normal?

JBReptiles
08-09-2005, 11:47 PM
no one out there has any info.....????????

jgjulander
08-10-2005, 11:26 AM
If a female is raising her tail and standing tall that usually indicates that she is NOT receptive to breeding. If the female is trying to bite the male, then that is another sign that she is not receptive. I usually take the male out and try again another time. If a female is receptive, she will kind of lie down and wait for the male, or even back up to him and try to "get mounted". Sorry if that sounds crude, but that's how it looks. She will also lay her tail flat and wiggle her knob. It is normal for the male to bite the tail of the female, then kind of move his grip up to the neck and breed. This all happens really quickly after introduction, so it makes it really easy to tell if it is going to happen or not. They are not shy about breeding, and you can even pick up a breeding pair without having them stop (not that I would reccomend this). I usually leave the male with the female for a day or two and then put him back in his own cage. They are awesome geckos. Hope this helps.
Justin Julander

Brandon Parry
08-10-2005, 09:52 PM
hey while we are on the topic of breeding what is a good size for a female and the male?

JBReptiles
08-13-2005, 03:34 AM
i heard like 30 grams+...

Geckoworld
08-13-2005, 08:39 AM
hey while we are on the topic of breeding what is a good size for a female and the male?

Mine were around 39g female, and 20g male.

Nathan Hall
08-13-2005, 10:48 AM
39 grams!!! That is huge. I feel comfortable breeding females when they are 20+ grams.

geckocrazy
08-13-2005, 11:04 AM
We started our females at 21grams and they are doing good. One has laid two clutches and is gravid now and the other is on her first.

Brandon Parry
08-14-2005, 12:41 AM
So are females in general a little larger than males? Is a full grown male at 14 grams tiny?

JBReptiles
08-14-2005, 01:06 AM
i think in all reptiles female are bigger...i know its not always true ...but it seems like when breeding males are skinny )just enough food to survive and have energy to breed..)and females need to be fat to produce good eggs...just my thought dont know if it is true or know

i would say if ur female is ready put her in with the male...he would most likely breed i dont know bc i dont have any but i would....

Minhawali
08-14-2005, 05:58 AM
My females are between 27 and 32 gr. and my males 21 to 27 gr.

Johan.