PDA

View Full Version : need breeding help

strilla
08-09-2005, 11:56 PM
I am looking for some help with breeding my tokays. I have 1.2 and they live in a 75 gal tank. They have been together for at least a year and a half. Just looking for some things I need to do to get them to breed. Any and all hints are welcomed. Thanks

ReptileMan27
08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I have a pair of tokays and have seen them mate a few times but no eggs :(. It could be a number of things from you could of sexed them wrong to something wrong with one of your tokays or just about anything inbetween. Thats the answer I got from people that breed them when I asked for tips. Good luck :)

PhoenixGate
08-10-2005, 12:53 AM
could you post pics of the geckos? im very good at sexing them. i could double check. and also, my bro had my breeding pair for about six or so months, and then i've had them about six or so monts, and they've only just recently laid eggs. my working theory now is that if the tokays are happy with each other and their enviroment, then they will lay eggs. but if you could post pics that would be great. the least i could do is double check the sexing. also, your geckos just might not like each other to mate. good luck though.

when you do have eggs, they do fine with the same humidity and temperature as the adults. the adults will tend to glue the eggs to a wooden surface if they can help it. you just cant budge those little suckers after that. all four of my eggs are glued to the back part of the cage. :lol:

strilla
08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
I have no doubts at all about the sexes. The male is easily 12 inches, the females 8 or so. He has a much broader head, as well as a larger base to the tail and distinct femoral pores. I have been keeping reptiles for 15 years, worked in stores for 6, I have astrong knowledge in care and all. I just can't seem to get them to breed. Of my 42 reptiles, the tokays are the only ones I want to breed, and thats just so I can have a tame one. I thank you both for the help, and you have sparked some more questions, such as should change temp or humidity to induce breeding, has that ever seemed to help? Also I know they dont use a humid area to lay eggs, but would a humid hide help? I dont have pics at this time, but the cage has a large cat litter pan for water, and quite a few branches for climbing, even though they are only ever on the glass and behind the water pan. thanks again, and let me know anything else that you can.

PhoenixGate
08-11-2005, 02:15 AM
well, my humidity gague has three things on it, desert, moderate, and tropical. i always keep it in the middle of the tropical one, and the geckos laid the eggs in their favorite corner at the top of the cadge. the temp in their cadge ranges from 77 or so to 90 *cringe, my parents refuse to turn on the ac sometimes* and they laid fine. also, im glad you're sure of the sexes. i've only been herping for about six months or so, so im happy you've got more expierience than me.

also, i leave my geckos alone alot. their cage is in my room, and hardly anyone goes in there. i clean and spray them and stuff, but most of the time i leave them pretty much a lone. the only other animal in there with them is my gunea pig and the feeder crickets, and they dont seem to affect the tokays. where do you keep yours? maybe they wont breed 'casue of the other reptiles. i dont know, im just trying to fiqure out all the possibilities. hope that helps :D i guess im just lucky that my tokays breed or something, cause people seem to have a really hard time breeding them. also, i have 4 eggs that are all healthy and *im pretty sure* viable. i know i have more on the way, because Newt and Gobbie REALLY like each other. watch this forum for the next couple monts, and ill post if i get a really tame baby. newt is very mellow *and very very smart* and so is Gobbie, so hopefully the babies will inherit a nice disposition. we'll see. :D

Tokayman
08-12-2005, 12:14 AM
i have heard that males sometimes need more than just one female to choose from, in order to successfully breed them, but i could be wrong, just an idea you might try. :wink:

GeckoFiend
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
i have heard that males sometimes need more than just one female to choose from, in order to successfully breed them, but i could be wrong, just an idea you might try. :wink:

He said he has 2 females....

Tokayman
08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
oh, well then forget i said anything, lol :oops: :roll:

tokaysunlimited
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
We with all of ours we keep them seperate.Yes they will breed when kept in trio's,but we found that we have much more success by keeping them seperated,and then introducing the male to the females.This usually works the best when they are most active.Another thing that helps is 10-15% increase in humidity(belive it or not).

strilla
08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys.

Tokaysunlimited: When is a good time to increase the humidity? Also, if I choose to keep the male seperate, do I need a large tank for him? I have heard in the psat that they do much better in larger tanks, but that was for breeding. Just more questions. Thanks again.

tokaysunlimited
08-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Well what are the temps and humidity that you are keeping them at now?

Tokayman
08-23-2005, 08:05 PM
anybody else notice how big our avatars got???