PDA

View Full Version : Activity in Helmeted Geckos (Tarentola chazaliae)

herperboy
08-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I havent ever seen mine moving around? Are they diurnal or nocturnal? Or are they active at dawn/dusk (whats it called)?[/list]

GeckoFiend
08-28-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure about their habits, but active at dawn/dusk is crepuscular.

Justin
08-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Hi, helmeted are fairly inactive geckos even at night. Preferring to ambush their prey rather than actively hunting it.

herperboy
08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah thats what its called...crepuscular.

Leland
08-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Justin, helmeted geckos are very active hunters. I have kept/bred that species for a couple years, and the adults as well as the juveniles actively persue prey when introduced. They are very "sluggish" though, usually only making any effort to move quickly when chasing prey. One thing a lot of people don't know is that the babies can acually climb glass, I've had many hang-out at the top of the enclosure for the first few weeks. After that, I believe they become too heavy for their under-developed lamilae (spelling?) to support. This is a very nice gecko, and breeding is not hard.

Justin
08-31-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi Leland, that is very interesting to learn. When I kept a pair for a friend of mine, they were very inactive rarely coming out of their hides, they ate well but only ever attacked what came right past them. Then again when I had them it was at the start of their cooling period so perhaps this is what had made them less active. I spoke to a few other people who told me they were fairly inactive as well though. Perhaps it is just differences between specimens. Maybe it is a husbandry difference too, may I ask what temps you keep yours at?

Leland
08-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Justin,
All my animals were fed a diet of varied insects, and they were kept on red sand with heat tape under about 1/4 of the cage. Temps were approx. 85-87 or so on the heat tape and cooler on the other end. These animals all actively hunt prey, and if you were cooling them, chances are they will be inactive, but you shouldn't be feeding during this state, as digestive problems may occur.

Justin
08-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info Leland, they were fed much less during the cooling period of course :wink: