PDA

View Full Version : Why roaches?

Yano_jl
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm new to Rhacs, but not geckos.
As such, I have crickets and Mealworms. I don't breed them, I purchase them and keep them as long as they live.

I was wondering why So many of you have chosen to use roaches as live feeders? Is there Something about crix and mealies (or Superworms) that I should know about?

oscar
08-29-2005, 02:26 PM
there's nothing wrong w/ the crix and mealies, its just that roaches has quite a few pluses to using them. they have more protein and less chitin per insect. they are easy to create a breeding colony. they are less smelly than crix.

i havent tried them yet, but am thinking of switching over cause its starting to be a pain keeping so many stinky crickets.. and if i can get them to breed right, then i'll save myself some $$ in the long run too. now i just have to get my wife to agree. lol

Scott

Justin
08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi,
Roaches are better for the reasons that Scott has stated, they are easy to breed, have a mucvh higher meat-shell ratio and don't smell in large numbers.

I breed B. dubia and have found them to be excellent feeder insects.

MiCh@3L
08-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Another good species is Shelfordella tartara. This species is very productive, it can`t climb at glass and isn`t very quick.

Michael

Yano_jl
08-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Thank you all for your replies.
As long as there is nothing wrong with Crix, I may not switch to Roaches. like Oscar stated Above, I may not be able to sell the Idea of a colony of roaches to my wife.

but you all are right, Crix smell horrible. Even just a few days after I clean the container.

oscar
08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
i know. i have about 750 coming tomorrow and NOT looking forward to the stench. someone said that the smell is from the food, but i know i clean out any old food religiously and its still there. i think its the rotting crix that smell so much and/or their waste.

Michael, what are those that you mentioned? i dont think i have heard of them.

Scott

weswright
08-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I am looking for the same info Michael...

MiCh@3L
09-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi guys,

during the last 2 years Shelfordella tartara is getting very popular as an easy to breed food insect in Germany. Itīs not very common by our food dealers, but many private reptile keepers breed that roach species.

I found an english article about the species in the www

http://www.bugweb.dk/shelfordella_tartara.htm

Here`s a picture for those who wouldn`t visit the website

http://www.bugweb.dk/images/shelfordella_tatara_1.jpg

I feed it to every species in my stock and juveniles roaches have the right size for small and medium geckos like Teratolepis, Rhacs, Oeduras ...
Regards Michael