PDA

View Full Version : Adult weights

WildEyeReptiles
09-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I'd like a sampling of the weights of adult tokays (grams) that are being kept in captivity.

Tokayman
10-08-2005, 02:50 PM
my female is an estimated 130 grams.

billewicz
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello,

Almost all of my imports come in around 25 to 30 grams. At this point, they have increased, on average, to about 75-80 grams in six months. At one year, they are around 135 to 150 grams. This is over a sample of 60 adult Tokay Morphs from Indonesia. An additional group of Normals tend to be heavier. I also have Normals from Vietnam that are expected to be even larger stock.

They eat crickets dusted with the Repashy multi-supplement, mice/rat pinks and roaches.

Just for fun, here are some WC monsters destined to be eaten.

All the best,
Michael

Riverside Reptiles
07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Two of those pics are definitely photoshopped.

billewicz
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Most certainly some slight of photographic distortion is at play in most of these photos from the Pacific Rim. I just thought it was great fun to add them to this discussion of Tokay weights.

Having said that, hundreds of ads, listings and sites over there advertise 450 gram and up Tokay. There are buyers constantly looking for 450g Tokay here in the States as well. So, who knows how big one can really get.

Riverside Reptiles
07-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, they apparently like to feed them chicken livers. It's because they supposedly cure aids and cancer. There's a bunch of articles stickied to the top of this forum you should check out. The gov'ts are finally starting to crack down on that crap because it's actually taking a toll on the wild populations. We've been getting a large influx of new members coming here looking for info on how to fatten up their tokays.

JIGSAW818
07-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello,

Almost all of my imports come in around 25 to 30 grams. At this point, they have increased, on average, to about 75-80 grams in six months. At one year, they are around 135 to 150 grams. This is over a sample of 60 adult Tokay Morphs from Indonesia. An additional group of Normals tend to be heavier. I also have Normals from Vietnam that are expected to be even larger stock.

They eat crickets dusted with the Repashy multi-supplement, mice/rat pinks and roaches.

Just for fun, here are some WC monsters destined to be eaten.

All the best,
Michael

Nice photo shop on the neck of the gecko with the leash and its ribs are also poorly photoshopped.. your not fooling anyone.

billewicz
07-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Ummm, I'm not sure what you meant by I'm not fooling anyone. I posted those as stated, in good fun!

Now, having said that, if you Google search for Tokay offings from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, etc., you will get quite a few of these as advertisements for their livestock.

There is a huge market for large Tokay and whether the photos are real or faked, the over harvesting of wild Tokay is driving the prices for good imports way up. It has also reducing the number of available animals substantially just in the last year. They dry them to eat them in huge numbers. Others believe that eating a big, 450g+ Tokay is an aphrodisiac and they apparently are willing to pay thousands of Dollars for one. Go figure.

The once common fodder of the reptile import industry may soon become a thing of the past. Anyone remember the typical Malaysian sky blue with red spots Tokay you could get in any pet shop? No more. Now all you see is the typical Indo Tokay, gray with orange spots. One exporter told me that I'd pay $5000 or more for a Tokay from Malaysia proper, if you could find one. Yeah, he also said that the government has closed most exports all together. I found a news paper article highlighting a guy who was arrested for smuggling several large Tokay into Malaysia.

Now that's a sad state of affairs.

Riverside Reptiles
07-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, much like the leopard gecko market, through the years nobody has really taken the time or effort to keep track of locales for tokay either. Hopefully those of us working with tokay morphs will be a little more careful with tokays than the leo breeders were. It's almost nearly impossible to find a true normal leo (not het for anything) these days. It's sad. Would hate to see tokays suffer the same fate.