PDA

View Full Version : California Magic Gecko?

Reptiluvr
09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
This must seem like the dumbest, most novice post in the history of Geckos Unlimited forums. Ok, here's the deal:
A friend of mine from Florida (where I'm from) recently moved off to college in Santa Monica, CA. Knowing my passion for gex, she happened to mention to me that she had heard about something called the California Magic Gecko. Interesting common name, right? She thinks it's the state lizard or some sort of mascot type symbol like that. I've never heard of such a thing. To my knowledge, there are only terrestrial geckos in California and all belong to the genus of Coleonyx. The only thing I could even possibly imagine was that this gecko could possibly be Coleonyx switaki with it's huge variance in polymorphism. I remember these gex originally being described in Baja, so I'm not sure whether they're considered a Cali gecko or Mexican gecko. Anyway, does anyone have a clue as to what my friend was telling me? She has not seen any pics or anything, but I have her on a quest to find more info or pics.

Coleonyx
09-30-2005, 11:04 PM
She is indeed talking about Coleonyx switaki, AKA magic gecko, barefoot gecko, and switak's gecko. They are threatened, so don't plan on getting any.

Lvbandeds
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Magic gecko? First time I heard that name. You know why they call C. switaki that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coleonyx
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
because it wasn't found until the 70's or so. It was "magic" that it had eluded science for that long a period of time.

Brian
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
It also has magic powers. Like the ability to teleport. Which is why you don't see them often.

We do have another native genus in Ca. although it occurs in the very south. It's not a eublepharid though.

Coleonyx
10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
yeah, the leaf toed gecko