PDA

View Full Version : Goyle Male not breeding? Lazy?

Palex134
10-05-2005, 06:43 AM
I have 1.3 adult gargoyle geckos. They are about 15 months old or so. I introduced the male with one of the females for a week. He just hid from her it appeared. Then I put another female in with him, and it looks like the same thing is happening. What is going wrong? Why isnt he breeding? What can I do to get him in the mood? If they did breed how long after should I expect a clutch? Thanks

Midwestherps76
10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Theyre probably a bit too young yet, I give all my Gargs 18 months before even attempting to breed them.

EDIT:Also, the females can be pretty aggressive towards the males, so if theres much of a size difference that could be exacerbating the problem.

Palex134
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
they are all over 40 grams empty.

Midwestherps76
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Well if you dont think its a matter of the male being bullied a bit, Id guess they are just chronologically too young and havent really kicked into that phase yet.. this is just a guess however, as Id mentioned Ive never paired mine before 18 months so I havent observed whether or not they will breed any younger. You may also just be missing any breeding activity.

Also, usually when I pair any of my Rhacs up, especially first time breeders, it can take a month or so before they really kick into any sort of breeding activity. If youre dead set on attempting to breed them, Id up the temps by a degree or two, mist more often/heavier and just give them more time to become sexually active. Personally i would give them a few more months though.

Palex134
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
yah, I will give them a few months before breeding them. Thanks for the advice

bleeding_sarcasm
10-06-2005, 01:47 AM
yea i would suggest playing with the temps. I keep mine with an ambient of low 70s, and a basking in the low 80s. And they do really well. also, do you keep them with flourescent lighting/uv? try longer days for the summer and shorter days for the winter, they get that in that part of the world.