PDA

View Full Version : Taenicauda not eating...

Sarah
10-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I've had the Taenicauda since Monday. They both ate the first night, about three large crickets each, but the female hasn't eaten since. The male is fine.

The female looks at the crickets, and has lunged and missed a few times, but she doesn't actually run after them, she waits for them to walk past her, whereas the first night she was chasing them like a mad thing.

Do you think something could be wrong? Any suggestions?

:0)

LarryLockard
10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
What temps are you keeping them at? I would say if she's making an attempt, just keep the food coming and she'll catch one sooner or later. If the temps are low, maybe raise them a bit and see if that improves her eating

Sarah
10-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Good news, I put the female and male on the floor before putting the crickets in and despite being picked up, which they are obviously not used to, they BOTH ate. Actually the female ate about 6-7 crickets, so she must have been hungry, and she was very accurate with her catching too.

I guess from now on I just put them on the floor until they are used to human contact and are brave enough to come down to the floor themselves.

Here's a photo I just took after they had eaten. The male shed the other day and he is now a beautiful light gray with a neon yellow tail and white belly! The female is a much darker, browner colour, and has more of a golden/orange tail and a peachy pink belly. Not sure if their colourings are just very different or if she will look the same as the male after she has shed. Any ideas on that?

:0)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/Taenicauda1.jpg

Justin
10-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi Sarah,
Glad to hear they are eating better now. I'm not sure about the coloration, but there is a fair amount of variation between specimens in taenicauda.

How are your ciliaris and spinigerus doing?