PDA

View Full Version : Hypo or not (Nephrurus milii)

Jan Grathwohl
10-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi

I recently bought a young pair of milii's

The male is much lighter than the female - any idea if this is a hypo?

They are taken with same lighting (only a fluorescent light - no flash on the camera)

Here is the male

http://gekkoforum.dk/phpBB2/files/nephrurus-milii---hypo_158.jpg

Here is the female

http://gekkoforum.dk/phpBB2/files/nephrurus-milii_140.jpg

All my other milii's (around 10) looks like the female in coloration - only this one male is different.

bugman426
10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
that doesnt look like a hypo...heres my hypo for comparison:

http://tinypic.com/ek3j7t.jpg

Jan Grathwohl
10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Hi

Nice specimen

what makes it a hypo? the lack of yellow? or only the fact that its lighter?

it seems to be genetic though as i know the breeder who produced the one i have, have produced more of these light phases.

bugman426
10-14-2005, 05:04 PM
maybe there are diff variations of hypo....if you saw that one next to my normal, youd know right away which was hypo...its very yellow and MUCH lighter than my normal

Jan Grathwohl
10-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi

Yes i see that it is more light in especially the bands than mine (seems to lack yellow).

Mine is though compared to all my other animals also markedly different and not to be compared

But well - seems to be a light phase which is cool enough ;)

Strophurus
10-14-2005, 05:35 PM
hello, first to say all the miliis of both of you ( also brilliant fotos )are very nice. i just put this picture of one of my males to this post, as he is also a hypo one which tends a bit to orange color, also his head is fully colored and some spots on his tail. i will try to breed him to some selected females which are also tending more to the hypo color.
just waiting what comes out the next season.
regards stefan

http://www.reptilwelt.de/images/hypomil.jpg

bugman426
10-14-2005, 06:13 PM
hello, first to say all the miliis of both of you ( also brilliant fotos )are very nice. i just put this picture of one of my males to this post, as he is also a hypo one which tends a bit to orange color, also his head is fully colored and some spots on his tail. i will try to breed him to some selected females which are also tending more to the hypo color.
just waiting what comes out the next season.
regards stefan

http://www.reptilwelt.de/images/hypomil.jpg

that one is gorgeous..i love how the bands appear almost solid, and the orangish color

awesome :D

SelectGex
10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Indeed, that is a sweet milii!

Strophurus
10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
hello, thanks for the compliments.
well when i got this one last year as a juvie, he was named as a "red fire" morph, but i havenīt heard of any names for milii colors or morphs before i got him because just have the information about the different locals of where the most miliis came from origin with different colors also sizes.
anyway names are just put on such animals to make them special for a better selling or something like that.
what is interesting is the deep orange color and also on the tail, such color on a tail i only saw on animals ( not milii ) when the tail was regeneratet, but this one is defently not.
so this animal has some good potential for finding out how this would be given to his offspring next year, i have also some good looking females with a good potential of this color, so i will keep you updatet on that next year.
by the way Jan, yours have also a very nice yellow color which is so clear on the photos.

regards stefan

Ken Bartenfeld
10-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I applaud all of you ;-)

sune jensen
10-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Hey, doesnt anyone keep natural milliis with known locale?
(much more interesting in my point of view)

There should be at last 3 types - southern, western and eastern - with the western being the most rare on captivity.
Some have even given these types full species status.

BTW, I have produced a few milliis in my time. I found that they procude these lighter babies regularily. I think this hypo gene (if it is genetic) is very common in captivity. Actually it might be more difficult to get true natural animals without this hypo gene than to get the ones with it (something regretable for those of us who prefere to have the true natural forms and shy away from the man made morphs).

Sune

Nathan Hall
10-16-2005, 05:52 AM
We currently work with Easterns (thanks Tom!) and Southerns. I tend to agree with you, Sune. I don't distinguish between "hypo" and "normal" when I sell them since many of my girls, light and dark, have produced light-colored babies. Of course, I'm talking about the Southern form.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful geckos!

bugman426
10-19-2005, 12:28 AM
how do i figure out which form i have?

MiCh@3L
10-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Hi all,

I`m very interested in the different forms of U. milii, too.

I just know the southern morph, hereīs a photo from Tom.

http://www.boomerangherp.com/avelsdjur/Umilii005_FS_FS.jpg

This form must be the eastern, it`s also from Tom.

http://www.boomerangherp.com/avelsdjur/Eastern006_FS_FS.JPG

Are there any others available in captivity?

Regards

Michael

Michael

Strophurus
10-19-2005, 03:50 AM
Hello.

To keep and breed the natural Forms of milii is of course also my point of view, but i think only a few people working with some origin local forms, the most others have mixed them together in the last years, so that it is harder to obtain some origin ones.
that miliis produce also some lighter "hypo" colored offspring is also my experience when the adults are darker.
i also ( and defently some others here ) like the color morphs as well, also in every reptile, but thats not a reason for me to quit with the natural forms here, i keep them also if possible to get real ones.
anyway no one can stop the hype about all the different morphs in reptiles and i give a garantie that when the first albino born milli would be avaible, the list of people would be very big to abtain them, also a few who say i normaly donīt like the morphs.
but anyway if someone has to offer some offspring from locales, i am always open to get them.
regards stefan

sune jensen
10-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi Stefan,

I know morphs are a big discussion issue, but all I can say is that I respect the opinion of other people, but to me this hobby is all about keeping good quality captive populations that are as natural as possible. That means keeping natural forms pure, no man made morphs, no hets for morphs, and obtaining animals with known locale/origin/collection site whenever possible.
Maybe it is true that no one can stop the morph hype, but raising the issue might be a good thing.
As for Australian geckos it makes me sorry to see people for example mixing different forms of miliii, because once the dammage is done it is difficult or impossible to get the pure natural forms again. Think about if people mixed the different form of Stroph. intermedius or williamsi. Not a very nice thought.
Michael; The southern form is supposed to be much smaller than the two other forms. I knew some people who keps them, but I dont know where they are now or if they even exist any longer - maybe they have just been mixed with the other forms.

Sune

Strophurus
10-19-2005, 05:18 AM
Hello,

Yes Sune we understand each other in that point.

by the way i am searching for a male of the smaller milii kind, for a friend of mine.

About mixing different Strophs, i have heard rumours some people are trying to doing that still. its not nice as well, but we can not stop this also.
it is bad, but not in the true and real hobbyists hands.

regards stefan

armali
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm of the same point of view than Stefan.
Pure local species are a great challenge, in making breeding program to avoid inbreeding, with the sensation of saving something which will maybe desappear in the wild. Excitation of finding a true locality etc... This side of the hobby is very attractive for me, and here, I agree with you, sune.
But, morphs have many advantages too. First, they permit to newbie to begin with species like leo, and by the way, to enter the hobby, and in my mean, more we'll be, more we'll learn. I think some of this newbie could become great gecko keeper in the future. Then, selective breeding of morph is also a great challenge ( I mean, I like it ). Moreover, most are beautiful, and are strickly captive animals.

Sune, you wrote exactly what everybody should :" but all I can say is that I respect the opinion of other people", too much people ( especially in germany, where there is many purist, thinking there is no different view of the hobby ) think they have THE true.

MiCh@3L
10-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Sune,

the southern morph is often offered in Germany/Europe (terraristik.com) as 'the big coloured southern morph'. Now I`m very confused, beause you wrote that the southern morph seems to be smaller than the other.

Here`s a pic of a U. milii I bought as the named morph
http://www.froschtuempel.de/geckogalerie.php?foto=fotos/geckos/underwoodisaurus_milii_02.jpg

Michael

sune jensen
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Michael, off course you are right
It is the western form which is supposed to be very small
The southern form is actually the biggest.

(Stupid typing mistake, my fault)

Sune

Tom Martensson
10-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I have both the southern and the eastern form (exactly 300km west from Sydney)
And I can tell you the eastern form give me about 6-8 juvenile at once female/year.
And the southern give me about 16-18 juvenile at once female/year.
So there is some differents between the formīs, I think the southern like it more cooler, but I have the same temp too everyone, and that resultīs in the southern produce more than they normally would do.
Hope you understand what Iīm saying with my bad english.
Tom

MiCh@3L
10-26-2005, 01:56 AM
@sune: no problem :wink:

@tom: Many thanks for your reply. Your information are very interesting. I understand your good english !!!

Michael

Geckoworld
10-26-2005, 05:25 AM
I kept an bred the Western Morph. The ones I had were much more red in colouration, and like the other have said they were smaller. The babies were stunning. One of my hatchlings had no neck band.

MiCh@3L
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
@ray: can you post a picture of them, plz?

Michael

Geckoworld
10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I had hypo too of this form, but I don't have any decent photos to share of them.

Adult Female:
http://www.geckoworld.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=22

Hatchling:
http://www.geckoworld.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=24

Juvenile:
http://www.geckoworld.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=21

MiCh@3L
10-27-2005, 01:56 AM
thx Ray!

sune jensen
10-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Ray, do you know where this type is now. I'm not asking you to tell names here in public, but it would be nice to know if this type is still in the hobby. Do you know where your babies/adult breeders went, or have you lost track of them?

Sune