PDA

View Full Version : Brown Wheeleri

Ken Bartenfeld
10-15-2005, 06:31 PM
I was looking around on the net, and found this picture. I don't know if its brown, or just brown because of the ground color...

http://www.viridans.com/reppics/2115atr1.jpg

sune jensen
10-16-2005, 08:47 AM
looks pretty much like the natural adult color to me.

kanopy
10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Sune,
You can check some pics on several book dealing with australian reptiles and you will see that distinct colors are found in the wild (pink, brown,beige) it's just depend on the environment. Also they have quite an ability to change color, depending on several factors (heat,stress...).
Fred

mtreptile
10-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi all,
yes, this is right Fred but it depends on the sand in the environment too. They love to cover themselves with sand and there a several therories about that (adapting to environment, protecting from heat a.s.o.). After I put some of mine in a new cage with a new fine sand both starts covering themselves via throwing sand all over their body. I wasn´t sure what is the reason but after seeing the female doing this again directly after beeing freshly shed I think the reason is in adapting the colour of the environment (so at the moment both are uniform red/orange). If this is the same in the wild, some pics of animals in the wild might show colours which occurs from dust or sand they cover themselves with. Nevertheless, there are different colours in wheeleri populations (most orange or white with darker bands) but may be sometimes both facts leads to the visible result.
Michael

Ken Bartenfeld
10-16-2005, 06:53 PM
What I think is weird is how the bands end up broken. Wonder whats the cause of that, could it be from inbreeding or what? You don't see many in the wild on the internet with "broken bands".

Whats up Fred, getting my Amyae Tuesday!!! Can't wait! Also getting some Wheeleri ;-)

Kin
10-17-2005, 12:28 AM
This is a wheeleri wheeleri , not wheeleri cinctus.

kanopy
10-17-2005, 01:02 AM
yes kin and even within that ssp you can find different color animals,just check the pic on the last wilson&swan book, or your own animal if you keep them :wink:
Fred

Kin
10-17-2005, 02:36 AM
Yes Fred, I agree with you. Not just wheeleri, other Nephrurus species also have the ability of changing colors, amazing !!

Ken Bartenfeld
10-17-2005, 08:31 AM
So whats the difference between wheeleri wheeleri, and wheeleri cintus? Looks the same to me...?

Justin
10-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Number of bands is one of the main differences.

Ken Bartenfeld
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh...didn't know that either. So then how many does Cintus have vs. Wheeleri?

Minhawali
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
w.cinctus 5 - w.wheeleri 4

Johan.

Ken Bartenfeld
10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Good to know man! Thanks Johan!

BGR
10-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Actually, that's a Nephrurus wheeleri cinctus...you just can't see the neck band because the gecko has it's head turned toward the camera. N.w.wheeleri has an easily distinguishable connection between the neck and shoulder bands...giving them only four bands. So it's not that they're lacking a band, it's that two bands are connected to form one band. Good examples are in many of the popular Aussie reptile books; i.e. Cogger, Wilson and Swan, and Wilson and Knowles.

Strophurus
10-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Hello Michael, is long time ago that i have heard any about you.
Good to have you back.....
regards stefan

Ken Bartenfeld
10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

Geckoworld
10-19-2005, 01:38 PM
The Australian geckos and pygopod book explains the differences pretty well. It explains the band of the neck too.