PDA

View Full Version : Sand...

Ken Bartenfeld
10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, I couldn't find where this would fall, but its got to deal with Nephrurus...so here it is.

I have been using Reptilite calcium sand for some time, works great and all, just seems to be a little dusty.

I just went and bought a 50lb bag of premium play sand. I was wondering what people thought about this? I know out in the wild they don't have the luxury of finding better sand or whatever, but we DO have that choice for them.

Is it safe, or should I stay away from play sand?

HaikuDan
10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Playsand is OK in my book. I wouldn't it with hatchlings.

One thing I would suggest is to wash the sand first to get the dust and super small particles out. A lot of aquarium hobbyists use playsand as aquarium substrate after washing it. Take a look at http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cleaning_sand.php for a good washing method.

For some species I use playsand mixed with topsoil with no problems. I don't have any setups using 100% sand, but if I did I would use (washed) playsand.

Ken Bartenfeld
10-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks D, I would love to have other peoples opinions as well. I do have them on 100% sand, not washed right now. It doesn't matter to me to put the old reptilite back in! Its all clean, and the play sand was only 4.19 (heh) for a 50lb bag.

Brandon Parry
10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
I guess playsand will work but I have heard it is not as fine as some of the other sands and it can become a health hazzard if swallowed. I have had no experiance with it at all. I know a bunch of board members swear up and down about jurrasic sand which I have also not had an experiance with. I mainly use zoomed sand from petco because I don't have many desert dwelling animals.
Brandon

Ken Bartenfeld
10-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your input Brandon.

Chris@TSE
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
I've used calcium based sands mixed with soil in the past with great success. I eventually moved to calcium based sands alone simply because it was easier to maintain. Jurassic sand also works well. All sand will produce a level of dust, some more than others, and mixing with soil helps to prevent this... But again, it is a tradeoff IMO since it is a tad bit harder to maintain in larger collections.

Good Luck! :D

Justin
10-29-2005, 07:09 AM
I've always used the exo-terra natural desert sand, I've heard play sand can be quite rough.

Ken Bartenfeld
10-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I am not going to use it then, I guess I will just take the play sand out. I just figured out in the wild, there is much worse the play sand as objects to get stuck.

GeckoFiend
10-29-2005, 10:07 AM
I just figured out in the wild, there is much worse the play sand as objects to get stuck.

I'm not against using sand, you just have to remember that they have a much lower survival rate in the wild. I doubt the sand has much to do with it, but you never know.

Ken Bartenfeld
10-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I agree. What a situation I am in. Now I guess I will just keep the play sand in, and try it out. Its not dusty at all, thats why I like it!

aquapimp
10-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I've used "fine blasting sand" for years on all my Nephrurus.and other deserticolous animals. It's produced by Amstone. Great particle size, reasonably dust free, and holds moisture like a champ. It has the added benefit of being inexpensive. Can't say I've ever had an impaction problem with any of my animals.

Tom

Ken Bartenfeld
10-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Cool Tom, thanks for your input, gonna look what "fine blasting sand" is...