PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a substrate for Oedura?

josh
11-01-2005, 07:46 AM
I've been losing eggs in the substrate of my amel velvets. I was thinking paper towels and a nest box. Any suggestions?

Justin
11-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Josh,
A few people have had this problem. I would say that they do need a substrate to keep up the relative humidity but perhaps use sand alone for the substrate and use sand/eco-earth in the nest box and keep it moist so they'll use the best laying site. Not sure if this will work as its just suggestion, anyone else got any ideas?

herperboy
11-01-2005, 11:55 AM
If you do a really thin layer of substrate on the bottom and offer multiple nest boxes, you should have better luck. I would say use less than a half inch on the bottom to discourage them laying eggs in it.

Brandon Parry
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
we use way less than half an inch, just enough to cover the floor and make sure the nest box is dark enough and big enough you shouldn't have any problems.

aquapimp
11-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I've used paper towel with great results; never had an egg deposited any where else but the laying box. I've had to employ this technique for several "stubborn" females. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing, but then again, finding dessicated eggs is a real buzz-kill!

Tom

Ken Bartenfeld
11-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Hehehehe, that would be a buzz-kill! Better safe then sorry!