PDA

View Full Version : Baby Food

herperboy
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I decided I would stick a small container of peach baby food and crested gecko diet in my Velvet enclosure, and from what I can tell they ate it. Im going to keep putting it in and see if i get the same results. I would be a big breakthrough if I discovered that Oedura also ate fruit. Has anybody else tried to feed their Oedura's baby food? If so what were the results?

Brandon Parry
11-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't say it's a big breakthrough. I have heard rumors before that they would also take some sort of fruit in there diet but I always perfer to feed them something that moves, keep them on there toes I guess you could say. Sharp, skilled, hunting, killing, eating machines.

herperboy
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Well of course they still eat crickets, but now I give them some baby food every other time I give my cresties baby food. They seem to enjoy it and ive noticed a incline in growth rate.

Nathan Hall
11-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Be careful with baby food. It is loaded with sugar. I would offer it as a periodic treat. The geckos will gain unwanted weight if fed baby food too often. When I feed baby food to any of my geckos, I add my own little mix of supplements to it.

As Brandon said, baby food has been fed to velvets for many years as a treat. I think Nunan mentioned it in a 1987 paper on O. castelnaui and S. c. ciliaris.

herperboy
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Well its baby food thinned out with water and mixed with Crested Diet. Im just suprised that the natural sugars make them gain weight.

Nathan Hall
11-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Mixed like that, I'm sure you won't have any problems feeding it to them occasionally.