PDA

View Full Version : Oedura Setups...?

Ken Bartenfeld
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey everyone, good day to ya!

I am curious if there are any sites where they are aboreal setups for this species...I have been searching on kingsnake.com, but I am sure some of you Oedura keepers know a good site.

I am not really good at making things. So I was just relying on a really nice premade setup. Tons of thanks by the way!

Brandon Parry
11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
what do you mean by premade setups. Are you looking for a cage that is already filled with substrate and plants? I keep all my Oeduras in 10 inch tall cages, they are a semi aboreal and can be found on the ground quite often. It's really all preference as to how you want to set them up.
Brandon

Ken Bartenfeld
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks, found something to keep them in...gonna use these (http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/glass_terrariums_i.html) for now...the largest of them seemed REALLY nice for them.

herperboy
11-09-2005, 03:35 PM
You could keep quite a few in the 18x18x24" cage. You can keep an adult pair in a ten gallon.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I downsized to the 18 18 18

Rich
11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
These are the 18x18x24 set ups i use ..

http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum/uploadgal/1129308892/gallery_2367_1_31852.jpg

http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum/uploadgal/1129308892/gallery_2367_1_59286.jpg

Ken Bartenfeld
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks bud, I saw on Rays forum you posted this ;-) Sweet setup, and thats exactly what I am gonna get! But I get the 18 18 18

Brandon Parry
11-09-2005, 06:49 PM
what Oeduras are you keeping Ken?

MiCh@3L
11-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Hi folks,

I keep my adult Oeduras in tanks with a size of 40x30x70cm, it`s equivalent to 15 x 12 inch for the ground and 30 inch of height. All Oedura species are aboreal geckos and in my opinion they need a minimal tank height of 20 inch.

@Brandon: When you only keep them in 10 inch tall cages, it`s not unusual that they live at the ground .... But I agree, my Oeduras also walk over the ground, but basically they live in higher tank areas.

Michael

Sarah
11-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi Guys,

These tanks are great. I've got two of the 45cmx45cmx60cm tanks for my Ciliaris and Taenicauda, and they are all doing very well in them.

I am actually getting both the tanks divided by a glass panel, so they will serve as 4 enclosures. They do take up a lot of space and as I am only allowed to keep 2 Taenicauda, it seemed a bit of a waste to have them in such a big tank when it's just the two of them. Apart from feeding time both species spend all of their time on the vines, so I figure less floor space will be an advantage as they should be able to catch their crickets more easily. As long as I keep the same amount of vines in there so their climbing space isn't cut down too much I'm sure they'll be happy.

The only downside in that the crickets run up the back wall, and they blend in so well once the calcium dust has worn off by next morning it's hard to see any left over little blighters, but obviously the back wall is removable. I'm removing mine as the only time my geckos climb on the wall is to get the crickets that are climbing up the wall, hehehe!

Nice set ups Rich! Very naturalistic.

:0)

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 05:54 PM
@HRreptiles - Getting a pair of Coggeri and 2 babies.

@Sarah - So you are getting them divided Sarah? Thats a good I idea, I don't know how big these Oedura get...but maybe I will do that... any feed back on their site will be greatly appreciated.

Gonna start setting up the enclosures, pics will be coming, now if I need some more stuff, let me know...I again, do not know how big they get and got some tree limbs I found that looked nice, but I don't mind to look for better or bigger ones.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
So a 75 watt light is good right?

Brandon Parry
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Ken can't say if a 75 watt will be to much or to little you will have to play with bulbs until you find what works best for you. Try to keep the cage in the mid 80's to low 80's with a hot spot in the mid 90's and make it so they have the option of being hot or not by providing plent of places for them to cool down or either heat up. Coggeri I have heard are around 70mm SVL so they won't need a massive cage. As for cage furniture corkbark, blasted grapevine, or any other type of wood should work I also use river rocks or large stones and or slate or flagstone. As for substrate I keep all my Oeduras on a mix of 50/50 sand, peat mix that is no more than a quarter of an inch deep. You can add a potted plant for a little extra coverage and humidity.
Brandon

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks alot Brandon! I am gonna goto my local homedepot and get supplies now actually...my mom and sister are over watching the Amityville movie, crazy...heh!

Sarah
11-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Hi Ken,

Yes, am getting both my exo-terra enclosures fitted with a middle pane of glass to make them into 4 enclosures. It is costing $75 per enclosure, and the enclosures themselves cost $189 each over here, so it's worth it. They had a bit of a job working out how they were going to cut the glass to go around the sticky outee bit on the inside where the doors lock, but they worked something out. I should get the first enclosure back next week, then I'll send the other one off to be done.

So you're getting a pair of Coggeri? How exciting!! I've never seen one. I don't think they are a very kept species over here. Can't wait to see your pickies.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Good god, they are pricey over there :( Sorry Sarah, at least you have cheaper geckos...hehehe! Making the enclosures setup now, gonna be niccccccce!

Sarah
11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Hehehe! Yes, I know they are more expensive here than in the US, but the cheaper geckos more than make up for it lol!

You must be so excited to be getting a new species in your collection! Can't wait to see your set-up. I'm sure you will do a stellar job. Do you have pickies of your new geks yet? When do they arrive?

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I will be getting them next week, gotta send out the money... :shock:

Anyways, gonna post in about 5 minutes!!! You will love it, gonna make a new topic, its gonna be, "what oeduras setups should look like - PICS" ;-)

Sarah
11-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Hehe...go Ken!! Are these critters expensive? I'm not getting any Oedura this season (have a lot of animals already ordered for this season, lol) but I am thinking of getting some Oeduras next year. Are they your first Oedura?

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Yep, my first ones...Ray from GW forums talked me into them...heh! Told me how they would sit on a branch and then when food goes in, BAM! They run and catch it and run back up the branches or whatever...sounds great! I don't know though, are they glass climbers I wonder.

Sarah
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
If you like that, that's what my two female Ciliaris do. They literally throw themselves off the branches with little or no regard for their safety, leap on a cricket, then take off up the nearest branch munching as they go. Very amusing. I never get tired of watching them. The crickets don't stand a chance!

Can't wait to see pickies of them! Not sure if they are glass climbers?

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Whoa, seems I need to mess with some other kinds of geckos rather then just Nephrurus.

Sarah
11-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Ciliaris are so adorable. I love my trio to death. They have such character, and although I have seen many posts saying they can't be handled, mine love it. I think they rather enjoy getting out of their enclosure for an explore. They jump from hand to hand and walk slowly around, flicking their toungue as they go.

The Taens DO NOT like being held, but I still do it now and again so that when I have to they don't freak out. They are already much much better than when I first got them. Once they are conditioned to realise that a hand does not mean instant death all will be good. I guess for reptiles, committing things to long term memory is rather difficult!

Good luck with your new species :0)

Ken Bartenfeld
11-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks again, going to bed now :-)

I love when they flicker their tongues.