PDA

View Full Version : YES...Bruce has finally lost his virginity!!!

Sarah
11-12-2005, 03:35 AM
Just walked in on a magnificent sight (if you know what I mean!). Bruce and Sheila were mating! Managed to take a couple of shots from outside the temporary enclosure they are in. Not great, but I didn't want to take the lid off. You can just make them out through the plastic. Thankfully the camera didn't phase them one bit. Hopefully we'll be seeing some eggs soon and some little Cilliaris babies in a few months time :0)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/e14f5474.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/2a6487d1.jpg

JBReptiles
11-12-2005, 04:12 AM
yah go bruce...congrats.. its always cool seeing breeding cuz u know eggs will come next and then babies:)....let us know how it goes..

Sarah
11-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks Jeff. I feel like throwing him a party!! Will certainly keep you posted on the egg situation.

:0)

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Hope he didn't wear protection :lol:

Congrats Sarah!

Geckospot
11-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Cingrats!! I bet you're so excited. :D

Rich
11-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Good lad !

Sarah
11-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Hehehe! I think he was pretty brave actually. Sheila must weigh at least twice what Brucey does, even though they are quite close in length. She is a year older than bruce, but she was cooled by her previous owner the first year so didn't grow as much as she should have done. That said though she is nice and healthy. Priscilla is also a year younger than Sheila and she is the same size as her now. It probably won't be long before she overtakes Sheila.

I noticed yesterday before seeing Bruce having a bit of kinky fun with Sheila, that Priscilla is starting to look gravid. Could just be my imagination though. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm over the moon. Was starting to think that Bruce was gay or something, so it's great to have seen him in action. Now all I've got to hope is that the females lay the eggs in the nest box! I'm guessing it can take a couple of goes before they get that bit right?

I'm pretty sure that the Taens were at it again as soon as she laid the second clutch (she has marks where he grabbed the back of her neck), and she is eating like a pig again, so I guess she will be laying again in another couple of weeks! Yay!!

May have lost the last three eggs that are in the incubator, as when I got home from work on Friday the thermometer said 31 degrees. I know that is within limits, but it will have been hotter than that at midday so I'm wondering if the eggs have been cooked. It's left me with a slight problem as it isn't even hot yet. It will get up to 45 degrees in the house in summer. I had it in a room with a lot of shade and the ceiling fan on, but even so, I'm sure it will have gone above 32 degrees. Oh well. You live and learn. Maybe they will still hatch.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I hope they hatch fine...45 degrees sounds hot!

Sarah
11-12-2005, 05:44 PM
You betcha. Really flipping hot and incredibly humid. Hate it. Really hate it. The native queenslanders love nothing better than to sit out in the sun and sweat like a pig all day. Well, that's a bit of a generalisation, but a lot of them do! Weirdos!!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Wow, that does actually sound weird. That actually sounds worst the Florida. Maybe they are trying to lose weight, heh!

Sarah
11-12-2005, 05:58 PM
It's sub-tropical in Brisbane, December, January and February are all in the late 30's early 40's, and occasionally up to 45, 46 degrees. The humidity is often 100 percent. Funny though cause I always thought if humidity is 100 percent we would be swimming lol! Turns out it doesn't work like that!

It's disgusting, basically you sweat constantly for three months. Coming from England I was moritifed the first year as it felt so unladylike to be sweating, but you soon get used to it! In the summer I have to ride Jack before 6 in the morning. It's just too hot to ride him during the day, poor boy. He hates the heat as much as I do.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Don't you guys have AC there? That has to help...

Sarah
11-12-2005, 06:09 PM
We did in the last property (we are renting at the moment), but this one only has ceiling fans, so we're going to suffer this summer. I am seriously considering buying a portable unit, they don't work as well as the built in ones, but it's better than nothing.

ughhhhh...

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I agree about better then nothing and I agree on the comment about the portables...my portable really sucks and I am actually talking to the people I bought it from, my house is at 73 or so, and my cooling room only at the lowest ever got to 64. So in the day its about 69, and during the nights it gets to 64. But I was told it should get alot colder.

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:10 PM
They aren't cheap either. If it isn't working right make a fuss!

I work in celcius rather than farenheit so I'm not sure what those temps you posted actually are.

As far as cooling goes here, it gets down to 0 degrees c at night here often in winter, so the whole cooling thing isn't a problem. I'm a bit worried that they are going to get way too hot actually. They have a ceiling fan in their room, but not sure how much difference that will make. I guess this is Australia, and although I've been told to keep them at 28, and Milli at 26, in the wild it would surely get a lot lot hotter than that!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I would assume so too...I mean, it is Austraila, but I am sure they get to choose WHERE they want their cool spots to be also. Even if they have to dig 10 inches or you know...whatever in depth.

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:15 PM
This is true. I might ask around the QLD keepers and see what they do about the temp for their geckos and for the incubating eggs.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Thatas an excellent idea, then just post some information for us :P

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Will do :0)

Sarah
12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Yay!!! Finally have eggs from this mating. Sheila was a very clever girl and even buried them in the next box. Considering this is her first ever clutch I'm very pleased with her!!! She has been wandering around the floor confusedly the last few days. I think it took her a while to work out what she was supposed to do LOL!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/3452c573.jpg

Sarah
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old post, but thought it was better than starting a whole new one just for a pic of eggs!!! PROMISE the novelty will wear off at some point!

Brandon
12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
congrats on the eggs!

BTW, i like their names, lol.

Sarah
12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks!

Justin
12-01-2005, 05:34 PM
You'll be knee deep in babies soon Sarah! Congrats!

Sarah
12-02-2005, 04:30 AM
I hope so Justin! I'd be happy if just one of them hatched, but to be knee deep in them would be great LOL!!