PDA

View Full Version : Oedura rearing rack

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
This is where our juvenile Oedura spend the first 4-6 months of their lives. I set them up singly in medium-sized "Kritter Keepers", with an all sand substrate, small branch, hide on the cool end, and low wattage spots. I mist the enclosures 4-5 times a week (a little more often since they shed frequently and dehydrate easier than adults). I use this same set-up for juvenile Strophurus as well. I've added peat or coconut fiber to the sand in the past, but I find it much easier to spot clean sand only.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/oedurarack.jpg

Justin
11-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Looks good Nate, have you seen much benefit by using the UV?

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I think it has done wonders for my juvenile Strophurus since they bask all day. Some of my velvets bask during the day, so they benefit from UV as well. I've had geckos most of my life and just started using UV for any of the baskers a few months ago. I suggest using a calcium supplement without D3 if any of you decide to offer UVB. I know many breeders who don't use UVB and have not had any problems. Sure, I'm an overkill kind of guy.

Justin
11-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Have you noticed any difference in their coloration now they have access to UV?

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Seems like their colors are a bit more intense, but I will need more than three months to determine this. Maybe it is just all in my head...and those darn voices.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 07:52 PM
How about a close up of the inside, its hard to see Nate...

Sarah
11-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Great set-up Nathan. Will need to make one for my hatchling Ciliaris and Taenicauda hatchlings soon, so thank you for the photo. Up to what age do you house them in these quarters? Do you have pickies of your set-ups for hatchling Nephrurus species?

Justin, in Oz I think it is standard to provide UV light for all arboreal basking species. Not sure about Oedura as I don't keep them, but I have been told it is a must for Taenicauda, all spiny tail species and Elderi too, as due to their behaviour they all would get lots of UV in the wild. Apparently the UV is necessary in these species for calcium absorbtion as well as general health and well being. You can get Vitamin D suppliments I think too. Don't know this from experience though, just from what other Aussie breeders have told me. I have my Ciliaris and Taenicauda under UV lights, which are set up on a timer to turn on and off automatically.

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:08 PM
How about a close up of the inside, its hard to see Nate...
Pretty basic. Just do a search on the forums. I've posted pics of this simple set-up many times. let me know if you still need pics. Sand, branch, hide, and that's about it.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Ok, I see the hide now...long day Nate at work...very slow and boring! Made something though for my roaches...a kind of poop sifter...LOL...and yes, I am serious. Going to make another for the smaller roaches to fall through. Almost 800 post for you, how about you comment on what I have in the Breeding and Incubation section ;-)

Justin
11-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Here it is Ken...

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/S.ciliarissetup1.jpg

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Sarah, Strophurus do quite well without UVB as long as D3 is added to the diet (along with calcium and other essential supplements). They've been bred for generations without it. I know that many folks do use UVB for their baskers, but I think just as many don't. I do think there might be better uptake of calcium when UVB is utilized, but I sure can't back that up. I find this to be a hobby of hunches in many ways.

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Nice, Justin!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks J, now thats what I am talking about! 8)

So I should ALSO add a hide now I take it? Do you guys use bottom heat?

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
For sure, it's all trial and error it seems.

I have noticed that my female Taenicauda basks a lot right underneath the uv light (I have a vine going right underneath it), whereas the male doesn't very often at all. I wondered if the female is basking under it to increase the uptake of calcium for her developing eggs? They get repti cal and repti vite on everything that eat, but I don't use a D3 suppliment.

Humans get depressed and have low energy without sunlight (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and have to sit infront of a UV light box if it gets too bad. This happens in the UK in winter. I'm sure Justin can relate to how miserable everyone is in winter when there is no sunshine at all and very short days!!

:0)

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Maybe thats why the natives sit in the sun all day Sarah :roll: :lol:

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Hehehe! Well, they all seem very happy. That could have something to do with the stubby of beer they ALWAYS have in their hand! Aussie's LOVE their beer. Unfortunately I can't stand it. They drink it at room temperature too. Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Ugh! Thats horrible, I like them ICE COLD! They drink it like that so it absorbs quicker in to them...heh! Ever heard of drinking in the sun? Gets you drunk quicker, and with warmer beer, I am sure that would make speed the process up too!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm...beer...at room temp...mmmmm. Me gusta cerveza mucho!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Ken, a lot of good beer is served at room temp.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Are you SERIOUS NATE!?!

Has to be Corona or something...ugh!

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Actually, Alex has just told me that they drink it cold here and warm in England. Just proved the point that I don't drink beer, hehehe!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:35 PM
LOL, go Alex

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm more of a wine drinker. Have been off the grogg since I gave up smoking though. Haven't had a ciggie for four weeks and two days! Thank God for Zyban!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Haven't had a ciggie for four weeks and two days!
No one likes a quitter. I'll go smoke one in your honor, Sarah. My wife has been hounding me to quit for years. Soon. I promise!

Guess my whole off-topic rule doesn't apply here. Oh well...

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Zyban? Is that some kind of...spiratual leader? J/k, sounds like a kind of prescription...

Wine, thats good stuff too...White Zin, yummy, and I like the cheap stuff too...Sutterhome...heh!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Wine, thats good stuff too...White Zin, yummy, and I like the cheap stuff too...Sutterhome...heh!

Let me know when you try some good wine :lol: . Aussie Shiraz and Syrah for me.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
LOL, hey...I like the crap...I hate red wines...I quit like 2-3 years ago smoking cigs.

Sarah
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Hehehe! Zyban is a drug that helps you give up smoking. It messes with the neurotransmitters in your brain, has some funny side effects though. Thought I was having a nervous breakdown for two days. Apparently that it a common side effect. If they'd told me that at the beginning I'm not sure I would have taken it lol!

Maybe you can get it in the US, the US probably manufacture it, lol! It definitely helps Nathan, if you're serious about giving up...!!

I love any white wine at all...I'm not expensive lol! I'll drink absolutely anything after about four glasses of the good stuff!!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Zyban AKA Wellbutrin. Zyban is the fancy name they gave it to target those folks who want to quit smoking. Great marketing technique. We have mountains of it here, along with tons of other samples. My wife brings home a new bag of drugs every day. No Ken, none for you.

Sarah
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Have you tried it? It takes a couple of weeks to kick in properly. Worked for me, of course there is still some willpower needed!

Nathan Hall
11-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I tried Wellbutrin when I tried to quit years ago. I know it works well, but it really made me a space cadet (more so than I already am!). I know smoking is a nasty habit, and I hate being a slave to the man! LOL! I'll quit soon...really!

Ken Bartenfeld
11-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Ahh man, come on! They are legal!!! :wink: 8)

G&MGeckos
11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I am with you Nathan. Mendie has been on my case for the last couple of years too. Now she has started telling you know you could probally get that gecko you really want if you quit smoking. LOL!

Back to the topic. Thanks for sharing the pics Nathan. Can adults be set up in the rack type system?

Toyvet
11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Nathan:
THANK YOU for posting the juvie rack setup.....very effecient and neat looking.
Talk to you soon;
Greg

Brandon Parry
11-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Nathan where did you get the shelving unit from? I have been looking for metal units like yours but I can only find industrial ones that are $$100 per shelf.

Also there is no such thing as a quiter when it comes to smoking, just pauses.

G&MGeckos
11-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Nathan where did you get the shelving unit from? I have been looking for metal units like yours but I can only find industrial ones that are $$100 per shelf.

Also there is no such thing as a quiter when it comes to smoking, just pauses.

Brandon they had some at Target a few months ago that were right around $70.00 They were a little smaller than the industrial ones but would work for what Nathan is using them for. Also check your local paper for restaurant equiment or restaurants that are going out of bussiness. Sometimes you can get some decent deals from that. I got 2 stainless 8 foot tables and a shelf like that for $200 last year.

Geckospot
11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
They carry some really nice ones at Costco for like $75.00. I have 5 of them in my herp room and they're great.

Brandon Parry
11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
what size are the ones at costco?
Brandon

Geckospot
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
They are 4 feet wide x 15.5 inches deep x 6 feet tall. The total height is 6 feet 5 inches with the included casters. They are silver and come with six shelves. I keep all of my cresteds in 66 qt Sterilites. You can fit 10 66qt Sterilites lengthwise on each unit or 12 58qt bins.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
That would be perfect for roaches, absolutely perfect. How pics of your setup please!!!

Geckospot
11-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Ok Ken. Ill try to post some pics of them tomorrow.

Geckospot
11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Here you go Ken. This is one of my crested gecko racks.

http://www.geckospot.com/_gallery/rhacrackpic1rszd.JPG

http://www.geckospot.com/_gallery/rhacrackpic2rszd.JPG

Ken Bartenfeld
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
That just awesome, now...what are the dimensions? Maybe an exo terra can fit in there too? Are they adjustible, the shelves that is...? I actually have that rack thing at my moms house! It comes in black too.

Geckospot
11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
They are 4 feet wide x 15.5 inches deep x 6 feet tall. The shelves are fully adjustable. I even used one of these as a bearded dragon rack when I was keeping them. I hung a 4 foot flourescent and a heat lamp from the bottom of the next shelf up. Sorry but I dont have any pics of that. Im pretty sure the exoterras will fit. What are the dimensions of those?

Ken Bartenfeld
11-14-2005, 12:45 PM
just 18" all the way around...it will work for sure...going to home depot now to just look around at stuff...

Geckospot
11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Thats cool. They dont have any of these at home depot though. Happy hunting. :wink:

Ken Bartenfeld
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Hmmm...they had it and another one that was smaller, but I am not quite sure on the measurements, maybe theirs was smaller? I don't remember it being four feet wide, I think it was like 36". I got something for my Exo-Terras...gonna set it up now and post new pics...

MTH
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Wondering if some of you breeders can update this thread with pictures of you current Oedura hatchling rack and container set-up. Thanks