PDA

View Full Version : Regrown tail?

Sarah
11-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Hi guys,

I have come across a pair of Strophurus Intermedius (two females) for sale, and was going to get them both and worry about getting a male later. However, when I received a photo of the second female, it looks as though she has got a regrown tail. Have attached a pic of the female with the suspect tail and I have also attached the link to the webpage which show the other female with the normal looking tail.

Do you think the tail is regrown? I've never seen Intermedius in real life so I could be totally wrong. Just seems that the tail has no spines on it past a certain point whereas the other females does. I guess it won't affect her breeding ability, but it seems a bit cheeky to be asking the same price for both, and they didn't mention the tail...

What do you all reckon? The poor little thing must have been really stressed out to drop her tail. Bless her.

:0)

http://www.upmarketpets.com/lizard.htm

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/dcbbd4e4.jpg

Minhawali
11-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Sarah,

That's a regrown tail but that's no problem, is it?
If you don't like her, just send her to me. :wink:

Johan.

Sarah
11-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Hehehe! I feel rather sorry for her actually. She must have been so stressed out to have dropped it. She is only a subadult, so for it to have regrown it must have happened when she was tiny I guess.

It seems that the animals with regrown tails sell for about half the normal price over here, so I thought it was a bit cheeky of them to not at least offer the information to me. If I hadn't decided to ask for a photo of her (the website showed the other female with the original tail) I wouldn't have known until I received her.

Is it common for them to drop their tail? My Ciliaris are so chilled out it would take a serious incident for them to drop their tails.

:0)

DeadIrishD
11-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Are they majorly into geckos and such? As if not they might not have known that she has a regrown tail.

kenya_1977
11-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I got two young (just over a month old) P. klemmeri in July. Within a couple days of having them I noticed that one of them was missing the last 1/3rd of their tail. I knew of no real reason for it to be gone unless there was some agression in feeding. I've never noticed any agression between the two since then. Then tail has grown back, all is good.

It doesn't necessarily take a big stress for a gecko to drop it's tail. Sometimes the stars are just lined that way. I personally wouldn't drastically discount an animals price just because of a formerly dropped tail. Wild R. ciliaris are rarely found with their tail. I think when I first started seeing them in the trade people informed me that they automatically dropped their tail when they reached sexual maturity. Of course this is not true, but it was a common opinion because so few adults had their tails.

I think if the animal still looks healthy, it shouldn't be a big deal.

-Crystal

DeadIrishD
11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I agree with Crystal for these reasons!

Does the regrown tail affect them in anyway? probably not.
Do they make as good of pets with the regrown tail? probably
Does the regrown tail effect their breeding ability? no just give them gecko kamakazi's and play some Def Leopard.

DeadIrishD
11-18-2005, 01:17 PM
I agree with Crystal for these reasons!

Does the regrown tail affect them in anyway? probably not.
Do they make as good of pets with the regrown tail? probably
Does the regrown tail effect their breeding ability? no just give them gecko kamakazi's and play some Def Leopard.