PDA

View Full Version : E. agricolae question

Geckospot
11-16-2005, 11:05 PM
I have been looking for a male E. agricolae to pair up with my sub-adult female once she reaches maturity. I have just been offered an amazing deal on a healthy 2 year old male from a very reputable breeder. The only catch is that last year the male had a hemipenal prolapse and lost one of his hemipene. Now before I buy him I'd like to know whether you guys think this slightly less endowed boy should be able to reproduce if he mounts his lady on the correct side.

Nathan Hall
11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't know what to tell you. It is a bit of a gamble if you ask me. If the price is extremely reasonable, I'd think about it. Good luck!

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
I had a U. henkeli male that lost a hemi due to an infection many years ago. The animal arrived with it distended and VERY red and swollen (OUCH!). Several days later, it just fell off. This male fathered alot of babies for me after that. Of interest, the male was seen "pseudo-copulating" with females several times with his "bad side", as if he didn't realize it was gone.

I'm under the opinion that it was not sperm retention fathering the eggs, because the pairings produced viable eggs for a couple years after the loss.

I'd try it. They have two for a reason.

Best of luck,
Tom

Nathan Hall
11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I'd try it. They have two for a reason.
Precisely, but it doesn't always work out. I've had a few single hemipene males over the years, and, indeed, some fathered many offspring. I've also had some that didn't do jack. That's why I said it is a bit of a gamble. I do know Eurydactylodes are hard to find.

Geckospot
11-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah...They are definately hard to find. The price on this male is extremely good. He is 100% healthy otherwise. I just can't decide. :?

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi Nathan,

I'm just trying to be optimistic. My risk factor tends to increase when I've got a lone animal.

If you are not going to get him, please let me know. I could use a male as well!

Tom

Nathan Hall
11-17-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm just trying to be optimistic
No doubt. I'm glad you mentioned it.