PDA

View Full Version : laevissimus success rate?

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Hello,

Could I here back from all you N. laevissimus keepers out there? I'm curious to see what your breeding successes have been with these little gems.

I've hatched-out several this season, but have lost a few juveniles, despite apparantly thriving and growing for weeks if not months prior to their demise.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Tom

Brandon
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I am pretty sure Roman Moniz has had some decent success with them, have you contacted him?

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the lead. They're not dropping like flies, but I'm used to alot higher success rate, especially on well-started, feeding animals.

Tom

Ken Bartenfeld
11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Thats odd Tom...I heard they aren't the best to keep because of this, ask Alberto...I know he is doing well with them. Are you keeping them very very moist? I am sure you are.

Sorry for the losses though Tom. I hate to hear that.

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the support, Ken. Alberto expressed similar happenings. I could see it if they went downhill gradually (stopped eating, got skinny etc.). From perfect, growing animals to just dead, though! I've kept them all the same way, some growing to maturity.

Tom

Ken Bartenfeld
11-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Thats why I am staying away from them...I could not see throwing my money away. Contact Garth, you know him right? He kept and bred them before any of you...from what I know though...don't quote me...need his email?

aquapimp
11-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I've known Garth for quite some time. I'm definitely not afraid to keep trying, as they are a personal favorite (actually, getting more in the near future). They are absolutely fearless in prey pursuit, and have TONS of attitude for such little animals!

Some of the sub-adults are turning out the most incredible shades of pastel yellows, pinks and oranges. At night, they almost glow.

Tom

Ken Bartenfeld
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
WHAT? Really...geez Tom, your gonna make me get some, I know it...

Geckospot
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd love to see some pics. :D

Ken Bartenfeld
11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Just asked him...we will see ;-)

SelectGex
11-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Have you contacted Derek W.?

Derek
11-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Over the last few years, I have hatched a number of laevissimus. One of my first pairs of adults passed away soon after I received them, but besides that, all of my hatchlings did very well and none that I have kept or sold/traded to other people have had any problems. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Derek

Ken Bartenfeld
11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi Derek, can you explain to us how you keep them maybe? Great to see you here.

aquapimp
11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Nice to hear from you Derek! I will be posting pics soon (computer coming back Tues.).

Tom

Brandon
11-18-2005, 01:08 PM
awesome tom, i can't wait for the pics.

Derek
11-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I keep the laevissimus just like all of my other smooth knobs - sand substrate, 2 hides (warm/cool side), feed mainly crickets, and water daily. I guess I've just been lucky with them so far. Hopefully the survival rate of this species improves in the near future. Take care.

Derek

Ken Bartenfeld
11-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks Derek. I have been not providing a hide on my warm side...thats amyae though...

So, you said water daily. I assume you mean spraying them, now do you soak the ground? I noticed that when I get home, usually the sand would be dry...

What kind of temps do you keep them at regularly?

If you increase temps with them, do you happen to have more eggs being laid?

Derek
11-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Ken,

The warm end of my enclosures around usually around 85-86 degrees. I've never tried increasing the temps to get more eggs out of my animals, but I would assume that if themps were kept high and the animals are well fed, that they could possibly lay more clutches. I think the person to ask more questions about this species is Garth since he is the most experienced and successful with them.

Regards,

Derek

Ken Bartenfeld
11-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I know, but Garth isn't on the forums. I was just trying to get some information for when and if anyone ever searched for laevissimus, they would get some good information. I don't plan on keeping them, unless some nice colored ones pop up, I might do some trading for them.

I would like to know more about amyae and wheeleri, I loved the ones you posted on kingsnake.com about a year ago, the ones that James got...simply gorgeous.