PDA

View Full Version : Blue Crested???????

Mack2
11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
So, is there such thing as a true “blue Crested”? I have herd stuff about the elusive blue crested and I have even seen some photos of them, most likely the color saturation of the photo was adjusted or some sort of lighting to make it look so blue. I was just wondering if anyone can prove or disprove this idea of the blue crested. And if there isn’t can we look forward to one in the future? I hope so. Thanks

Mackenzie

weswright
11-21-2005, 06:41 PM
There was a big debate about this awhile ago, and quite a bit of discussion to why this couldn't happen. I am going to poke aroud and see if I can find this for you. I had alot to while the bio of skin and pigment cells. Lets see....

klondike4001
11-21-2005, 07:07 PM
I know an article in Reptiles Magazine about 2 years ago had a picture of one but they blamed it on the camera, then about a year ago a breeder said they had one but weren't willing to sell it, by for the life of my I can't remember who it was.....

Palex134
11-21-2005, 07:14 PM
yah I saw that, thats the picture that got me into cresteds. I dont think its possible for one to acually be blue, just slate and grayish.

Mack2
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
This took me like 5 minutes 10 tops. Any one who knew how could make any color they wanted like this.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/mack2_/1c.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/mack2_/1b.jpg

Palex134
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
the eyes give it away, but nice try! haha

Mack2
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
ya i didn't know what to do to them. o well

JohnN
11-21-2005, 08:28 PM
That's neat, photoshop I'm guessing.

Sobedrummer007
11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
The thing is that the pigments in the cresties skin are not supposed to be able to create blue, at least not like we think it. They usually turn out slate gray. BUT, crestie pigments were also not supposed to be able to make green either, but their have been spectactular greens developed by breeders. It will take alot of research and trial and error to develope blue cresties, but i have faith that eventually we may see them, they will probably to expensive for my wallet though

DeadIrishD
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Im sure when beginning the hobby, they never thought that a mack leopard would be able too happen.

Palex134
11-22-2005, 11:02 PM
the green is more olive, and the thing about the olives, is they are never always a solid greenish, buch change from greenish to bucksin and light colors.

Ken Bartenfeld
11-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey, thats awesome looking...that my 2 cents...

Mack2
12-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Check out the so called "blue crested" on this site. http://www.fatflatlizardranch.com/lizards.html

herperboy
12-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I would say hes slate gray.

klondike4001
12-05-2005, 11:43 PM
I'd say a moonglow and someone's played with the coloring on the picture.

D Healey
12-06-2005, 03:18 AM
I think some shades of gray show alot of blue coloration i have one at http://photobucket.com/albums/d191/rhachead/?start=20 it is the last pic on the second page.

WildEyeReptiles
12-06-2005, 09:46 AM
the green is more olive, and the thing about the olives, is they are never always a solid greenish, buch change from greenish to bucksin and light colors.

Not all of them are light. I have a solid green that is black in his off time.

Preston Cook
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Actually, no crested gecko can trully be Blue or Green. As "greens" are olives. Crested geckos skin pigment lacks any blue. As for the pictures, It may well be a very pale crested. So pale that you can see the pigment of the internal organs, or photoshopped. As for saying none of them are light is very untrue. Any crested gecko can be, any shade. It can be a Very dark brown(cant be black because no blue pigment) and will change to a very pale gecko. Hope that answers your question.

Brian
12-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Blue color is usually a structural color in a lot of animals. That's why some blue birds will look grey from a certian point of view.

Green is a theoretical possibility though. Blue us very very unlikely (I'm willing to say almost impossible.)

Preston Cook
12-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Blue color is usually a structural color in a lot of animals. That's why some blue birds will look grey from a certian point of view.

Green is a theoretical possibility though. Blue us very very unlikely (I'm willing to say almost impossible.)

But, Brian blue is impossible, with out blue pigment. Which they dont have. Also green is impossible, again requiring blue pigment.

JFDery
12-26-2005, 02:45 PM
But, Brian blue is impossible, with out blue pigment. Which they dont have. Also green is impossible, again requiring blue pigment.

A structural color is not actually a pigment, it's caused by a platelet shaped organel in the irridophore (a dermal "pigment" cell) that refelects certain wavelengts. Some structural colors are "fluorescent" green, kakis or greenish yellow, and do not require any structural blues or yellow pigment. I would suppose that "green cresties" (never seen 'em) are a result of greenish structural color. So far, no green or blue pigment have been found in the phylum Reptilia.

In order to compare, the green of Phelsumas requires the activity of three different dermal pigment cells:
melanophores; producing black pigment
irridophores; which will only reflect blue if the melanophores are active)
xantophores; producing yellow pigment

So, true amelanistic Phelsumas would be yellow, while an amelanistic "green crestie" would hypothetically still be green, maybe a bit brigther.

Jean F. Dery

miguel camacho!
12-27-2005, 02:47 PM
personally, i hate it when people try to say they have a white/moonglow or even a blue crested. a moonglow is basically a light grey that blanches during the day to a very light grey. a blue is just the light hitting and refracting through the old skin in an animal going through early stages of ecdysis, much in the same way snakes "cloud" before a shed.

weswright
12-27-2005, 03:03 PM
personally, i hate it when people try to say they have a white/moonglow or even a blue crested. a moonglow is basically a light grey that blanches during the day to a very light grey. a blue is just the light hitting and refracting through the old skin in an animal going through early stages of ecdysis, much in the same way snakes "cloud" before a shed.

The moon glow thing bugs me as well. I look at them and notice that one of my buckskins looks exactly like that during the day. Yeah, guess I have a moonglow! Granated I have never seen one in person, but I doubt they are that amazing.

L.A.C. Herps
01-11-2006, 10:58 AM
okay... i had a kind of nasty message basically complaining about gecko colors, and who calls a brown or olive animal green etc. but realized nobody probably cares, so i just erased it and decided to post the photo you guys are probably talking about. this is thanks a thread posted on repashy.com
http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/files/crestdsc00009_715.jpg