PDA

View Full Version : Two of Australia's Hardest Knob Tails to Find

Ari
12-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi

All I was just checking through alot of posts, and thought I would let everyone know what are the 2 hardest Knob Tailed geckos in Australia to acquire........quite honestly impossible to acquire unless you are prepared to go on a 2 - 3 year waiting list.

They are Nephrurus Asper & Nephrurus Wheeleri.

There is apparently only 1 x breeder in the whole country who legally keeps Wheeleri, and he or she I dont think will sell off spring.

There are 2 x people I know who have Asper but the waiting period is 2 - 3 years I was told.

And guess what they are both my favourites.

Ari

Sarah
12-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I know!! I am on Ryan's waiting list for Asper, but yes, I will have to wait 2-3 years for any to be available. I haven't heard of Wheeleri at all over here. How is it that only one person has them? That is absolutely ridiculous. Market monopoly, if the person every decides to sell he/she can charge whatever they like. Crazy! The even more worrying thing is thinking about how much I am prepared to spend to get a pair LOL!

Ken Bartenfeld
12-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Asper is like over here in the US, but hopefully this will change soon :?

Sarah
12-02-2005, 05:21 PM
The even more ridiculous thing is that Asper is one of two species allowed to be kept in pet shops in QLD (the other is U.Milli). Apparently when the laws were being draughted they got the scientific names muddled up, and it was actually supposed to be Levis that the pet shops are allowed to sell, which would make a lot more sense. The day I see an Asper for sale in a pet shop will be the day I've gone to heaven LOL!

herperboy
12-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Why are the so hard to get in Australia?

Sarah
12-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Neither species is allowed to be taken from the wild and for some reason there are only a few of each species in captivity.

Such a shame. I know that the people with Asper are working towards building up the captive stock, but I have no idea about the Wheeleri, I don't even know who has any!

:0)

iand
06-27-2006, 12:50 AM
i guess that is why they are so uncommon. everyone that has them is building up so that they have a better collection.....lucky them

iand
06-28-2006, 03:16 AM
i know one person that has the asper but no one that has the wheeleri.

iand
06-28-2006, 03:47 AM
also ari, i think the N.sheai are just as hard to find in Australia and anywhere else in the world for that matter. what do the rest of you think. i have never seen ANY advertised in Aus or anywhere else in the world?

boc
06-28-2006, 03:48 AM
sarah a reptile shop in the brisbane area did or still does have a male asper available. $420 18months old

iand
06-28-2006, 03:51 AM
it seems that alot of the people that have asper and amyae are up in QLD. the ones that i know of that is. is there any reason for that do you think or is it just coincidence

GeckoHunter
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
The even more ridiculous thing is that Asper is one of two species allowed to be kept in pet shops in QLD (the other is U.Milli).

Hi Sarah,
What do you mean by "kept" - I gather you dont mean 'sell' because I bought my N. amyae from a pet shop in Bris.

cheers,

geckodan
06-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Technically, due to the fact that that QLD NPWS uses 1992 Cogger as their reference, the only knobtails allowed in QLD petshops are laevissimus and asper because they started the list using outdated common names and then applied outdated scientific names to match them. Subsequently, amyae technically should not be saleable through petshops but NPWS are just not noticing it (although in the 1992 Cogger, amyae was an asper then).
Only 1 person has wheeleri (in the NT), all animals currently up for sale $5000 a pair for 8 year old animals that bred once when they were 3 years old.
The whole reason asper are rare is quite simple. When they declared a keeping amnesty in the late 80's/early 90's in NSW everyone went on a shopping trip for whatever they wanted to declare. Back then amyae hadn't been officially described so everyone went out and collected big red asper (not those little grey boring ones). 4 years later the name changed, and now there are 95% amyae and bugger all asper.

iand
06-29-2006, 07:44 AM
too bad for all the people that thought they had asper. well done though on getting an amyae in a petshop geckohunter.

boc
06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Everything reptile was the shop that had one male available. I believe he purchased two juvies that ended up both being males so was selling one off. I rang thinking it was amyae but was told it was the rarer asper from west of rockhampton locale. There is still a pic on the website but i'm not sure if this was the exact animal for sale.
cheers
Ben

iand
06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
lol, i bet he was hoping to get a pair