PDA

View Full Version : Nephrurus Incubation?

Geckospot
12-20-2005, 04:30 PM
What medium do you guys use to incubate your Nephrurus eggs? What is the medium/water ratio? What incubation temps do you use? Are these geckos temp sexable? If so, what temps hatch mostly females?

Sarah
12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Don't have any Nephrurus eggs to incubate yet, however, will be using the same as for all the others, 1:1 vermiculite to water at 28 degrees C. Have been told that lower temps produce more females, but not sure about this as have also been told by a lot of breeders here that knob tail clutches have 99.9% chance of being male and female per clutch.

Geckospot
12-21-2005, 03:34 AM
So does everyone else incubate at 1.1? Anyone use perlite?

Ari
12-21-2005, 07:52 AM
To answer your question I need to know what type of Nephrurus you are currently keeping?

Generally Occidental, Levis, Pilbarensis & Amyae have been known to produce 1.1 @ a 99.95% rate, incubated at about 28 degrees as what Sarah has advised. Vermiculite 50% & water 50%.

Other Nephrurus have been known to be temperature based, and difficult to establish sex of clutches. E.g. Laevissium, Stellatus & various others.

Please advise the Nephrurus species and I will see what I can find.

Cheers

Ari

Ken Bartenfeld
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I have used 1.1 vermiculite too...and also threw in some perlite just for the fun of it and had excellent results...here is my setup Chris.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d95/KenBartenfeld/IMG_0946.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d95/KenBartenfeld/IMG_0947.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d95/KenBartenfeld/IMG_0948.jpg

And for amyae, I would just spray the top of the lids of the containers I keep the eggs in...that would make it humid enough, and it also would all kind of settle throughout the container (like where the vermiculite is...)

Does this help at all?

I know alot of people who use just perlite though...just make sure to get all the dust out. Its annoying ;-)

bugman426
12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Ken, is that cup above just perilite, or is it a mix of something? Is the dirt looking stuff and the white balls the same material?

Ken Bartenfeld
12-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Hmm...its vermiculite and perlite mixed together in a 1.1 mixture of both by weight...is that the answer to the question?

Geckospot
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
To answer your question I need to know what type of Nephrurus you are currently keeping?

Generally Occidental, Levis, Pilbarensis & Amyae have been known to produce 1.1 @ a 99.95% rate, incubated at about 28 degrees as what Sarah has advised. Vermiculite 50% & water 50%.

Other Nephrurus have been known to be temperature based, and difficult to establish sex of clutches. E.g. Laevissium, Stellatus & various others.

Please advise the Nephrurus species and I will see what I can find.

Cheers

Ari

Ok...I'm asking about amyae eggs.

Ken...So yo only mist the lid of the container? You don't mix water with the medium?
Where do you get those tupperwares?

Ken Bartenfeld
12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I got them at SUPER Wal Mart ;-)
FIT SNUG!

And I did spray a little little bit of water on the medium, but they keep pretty well. I also would "burp" the lids of the tupperware...once a week when I would either spray or not spray the lids, depending on the moisture on the sides. I also have the thermometer inside the tupperware, I noticed a huge difference between the temp inside and out. Last year if I remember correctly it was like 7 degrees!