PDA

View Full Version : New Levis and UPS SUCKS!

Riverside Reptiles
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Purchased my first pair of knob tails (levis levis) as a Xmas gift for myself. And they finally arrived yesterday! But wow, what a crappy shipping experience I had getting them.

They were sent out UPS Red Next Day Air (even says "Extremely Urgent" on the UPS label) Tuesday evening and supposed to be delivered early Wed. Even though it's the holiday week and all we didn't figure there would be an issue as I only live about 4 hours from the breeder. So I stay home from working Wed to be here when they arrive.

Wake up early on Wed feeling like a kid in a candy shop waiting for my new herps. Check the tracking number and it says, "THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE DESTINATION LOCATION AND IS DELAYED ". What kind of crap is THAT? But, I figure, "Ok, no problem. Since it's Extremely Urgent, they'll get it on the next truck out and they'll just get here a little later". So I wait, and I wait, and I wait, and no change in the tracking info still. So the breeder calls UPS and they say it's delayed until Thursday but will be delivered by Noon.

So I stay home yesterday, get up early again, and the tracking says, "on the truck for delivery". So I wait... Noon comes and goes and no geckos. 3pm...4pm...5pm...no geckos! Finally at 7 pm the UPS man shows up...more than 48 hours after they were shipped from 4 hours away. Not even an apology or mention from him about how late it is. I know that shit happens. I know that it's a holiday week. BUT, they shouldn't offer a service that they can't follow through on.

Open up the package and the heat pack is long done for. Pull out the first cup and the male is stiff as a board and cold as ice. Dead as far as I can tell. The female is alive but ice cold and barely moving. UGH! So, I stick them in their enclosures, cross my fingers that there may be enough life in them to get them to come around, and head out for dinner. Come back a few hours later and the male is back from the dead and the female is looking better too.

Checked on them this morning and the female is back to being normal. Bright, alert, responsive. The male however is having issues with his limbs. Not really able to move them very well it seems. I'm thinking perhaps frost bite or something. So keep your fingers crossed that he might come around still. They're otherwise beautiful animals. I'll take some pics once they get a little more settled in.

Moral of the story I guess is...no matter how close you live to the breeder...NEVER EVER trust UPS during the holidays. Kudos to Matt Ozsvath for being a stand up guy and sticking with me through this whole process.

Sebastian
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Moral of story:

If you live only 4 hours from the breeder,go there and pick the geckos up yourself. :roll:

Riverside Reptiles
12-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Moral of story:

If you live only 4 hours from the breeder,go there and pick the geckos up yourself. :roll:

8 hours round trip is a lot of driving especially if it includes having to drive around the Washington DC Beltway (which can turn into a 4 hour trip in itself) :roll:

Sebastian
12-23-2005, 03:58 PM
But youŽd have healthy geckos.

Peace :wink:

Protean
12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
i'm sticking with schenky on this one. If its less than 250 miles, I'll go in person. I calculated out all my expenses and just rent a tiny car for the day (don't own one).

I had fedex pull the same thing for a wednesday morning delivery that arrived thursday morning. If the package is that late, you do not have to pay for it. Stand your ground and get a reimbursement.

Jason

D Healey
12-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I think the point is that when you use the most (reliable courier) and pay their outrages increase in shipping costs that you would expect professionalisim and it is also nice to have the assurance that the breeder will be responsable for any shipping issues where if you take them yourself and something bad happens it is on you i appreciate your frustration and hope all goes well.

Sarah
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I really do hope that the little guy pulls through okay. Would love to see pics when they have settled down and recovered from their ordeal.

:0)

Geckospot
12-23-2005, 06:13 PM
That sucks. This is exactly why some breeders are now only offering a live arrival guarantee with Delta Dash which costs around $70. I use FedEx to ship my herps. They have delivered packages late before but have never been a whole day late.

Riverside Reptiles
12-23-2005, 10:23 PM
I've been working with herps for 15+ years and never had a shipping experience like this. "THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE DESTINATION LOCATION AND IS DELAYED " is unacceptable. Missed? It's a UPS RED "Extremely Urgent" package. How does it get "missed" for more than 24 hours?

I guess some of us have more time on their hands than others. I run 3 businesses and can't just hop in the car and drive 8+ hours every time I decide to purchase new herps. Even with shipping them, I purchased them before Thanksgiving and it took until now for me to just have the time to be home to accept the package. I guess my point is that it's stuff like this that makes it important to buy from a breeder that stands behind their guarantee. And Matt has been A+. Never a question as to "what if...".

So, on a bright note, I just got home (10pm) and the herp room has been dark for a few hours. So, I popped in to see how they're doing and both were out of their hide boxes and checking out their new homes. I only spent like 2 minutes checking them out as I still don't want to stress them any more than they currently are. But at least they're out an about. Didn't observe the male long enough to see what's doing with his limbs at present (but he did take a big crap which is always a promising sign). Again, just glad he's out and moving around. Neither have eaten any of the roach nymphs that I put in for them. But that's kind of the least of my concerns at this point. I'll keep updating and will post pics soon (they're great looking specimens).

G&MGeckos
12-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Moral of story:

I have to agree with this also. I would drive that in a heart beat just to make sure I got my new babies safe and sound. I have had some breeders meet me half way for about the same distance. With that being said I must also agree with the following.

I think the point is that when you use the most (reliable courier) and pay their outrages increase in shipping costs that you would expect professionalisim and it is also nice to have the assurance that the breeder will be responsable for any shipping issues where if you take them yourself and something bad happens it is on you i appreciate your frustration and hope all goes well.

I had fedex pull the same thing for a wednesday morning delivery that arrived thursday morning. If the package is that late, you do not have to pay for it. Stand your ground and get a reimbursement.

I think if we are going to pay shipping cost that seem to rise every year we should demand better service and when it is not given demand a refund. Also if your purchase is that important you can also get insurance, but fact is many of us don't because shipping has already went up so much.