PDA

View Full Version : Ciliaris Question...........

Strophurus
12-25-2005, 05:38 AM
First to say Merry Christmas to all here in the Forum.

My Question is about one of my ciliaris offspring which has some some reddish color under his eye, also on both sides of the head, the red area gets bigger by every shed, and for me it looks strange, because of the intense of the red color in compare to the rest bodycolor.
the animal is defently healthy and well, i did not recolor the area ( as it may look like ) by any Graphic program ( like Photo shop or corel or any other ), it is defently also no dust from the red sand i use as fillin or even any mites or something other, the animal had some small red points at this area when it hatched, maybe anyone of the ciliaris breeders here ( like Jerry, Nathan, or any other who have had this experience with animals in the past).
it would be nice to get any coments about that.
here is also a picture i did of the animal ( sorry about the bad resolution, but my camera is older now ).

i will try to make better pictures in the next time and will defently keep updatet on how this red will change in the next times of growing and shedding.

regards stefan

http://www.reptilwelt.de/images/ciliariss01.jpg

Jerry Peebles
12-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Stefan-

I've never had any ciliaris hatch that had red just around the eye like that. There was a line of ciliaris around here for a while that had a lot of orange/red all over on them, but not just under the eye. I think Tom (aquapimp) can maybe comment on this a little more. It looks interesting at any rate!

Best regards,

Jerry.

Strophurus
12-25-2005, 03:11 PM
hello, thanks Jerry for the help. well i will wait, maybe Tom ( aquapimp) has any information about it.
i heard about some ciliaris which have some orange red parts on their body, but never thought that it was like that intense ( i have heard that some years ago some specimen from the wild had this kind of color markings, but only from special localities, maybe also our australian members here know something more about it ).

i am not sure if this will stay on the gecko until it is mature, but as i saw under a magnifying glass the whole scales on this parts are defently red colored like on the picture and it is getting a bit bigger by every shedding.
the curious thing is that the rest bodycolor is like normal.
the gecko is now about 5 weeks old ( possible female until now ).
well i will see how it change in the next future and post pictures of it.

regards stefan

Sarah
12-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi Stefan,

The Katherine form of S.Ciliaris has orange on its face. Here's a photo from the breeder, not very clear but it was the best he had. They have orange on their heads, lips and nose. Can't make out much more than that, hehehe!!

What a gorgeous little gecko. Congrats!!!

:0)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/ciliaris2.jpg

aquapimp
12-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Happy holidays everybody,

As Jerry suggested, there was (is?) a strain of ciliaris in the states that had a great amount of red/orange in them (I've had individuals approach 50-60%bright carrot-orange). A "typical" specimen would be very similar to the animal in Sarah's photo. Many (40?) went to Europe in '95 via Casey Lazik. For a long time, I believe the parents and holdbacks from this group were some of the only ciliaris in the U.S. (second opinions encouraged!).

In addition to high-color, other traits that I've noticed in this "phase":

1.) Larger size. Not just in length, but in overall girth, too. I've had mature females take a day-old mouse!

2.) About half of third generation and subsequent offspring exhibited an "overbite". These included geckos that were purchased back from friends years later. Scrutinize the photos you'll see of ciliaris on the net. Some will exhibit a smaller lower jaw than should be there.

I think you are going to have a nice animal, there Stefan.

I'd love to keep this thread going.

Tom Wood

Strophurus
12-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Thank you Tom for your input. Well i will see how the one i have will change in color and keep you all updatet on this.
regards stefan

Justin
12-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Those are very interesting markings Stefan, be sure to let us know how it matures please.

geckodan
12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi, Assymetrical colour patches like that are not all that uncommon in ciliaris ciliaris but less so in ciliaris abberans. They may be purely patterning but can also be associated with minor skin damage (possible post hatching shed) where the pigment cells are temporarily or permanently damaged. This may explain why it is changing with subsequent sheds.

Danny