PDA

View Full Version : Im new.

docszoo
12-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone. Im so excited, I finally found a site that has a banded gecko forum :D :D :D ok, I do not know anything about bandeds, could you guys tell me the basic info on them? I love the species and would like to know about them. I heard their setup is like a leopard geckos, is that true? If not, how would I set up their cage. And does geckosunlimited sell them? If so, what is the pricelist?

Coleonyx
12-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, I can help you out.

SPECIES/SUBSPECIES

Western Banded Gecko
Coleonyx variegatus
variegatus variegatus -Desert BG
variegatus sonoriensis -Sonoran BG
variegatus fasciatus -Black BG
variegatus bogerti -Tucson BG
variegatus abbotti -San Diego or Abbott's BG
variegatus utahensis- Utah BG
variegatus peninsularis- San Lucan BG
variegatus slevini- Slevin's BG

Central American Banded Gecko
Coleonyx mitratus
mitratus mitratus

Yucatan Banded Gecko
Coleonyx elegans
elegans elegans
elegans nemoralis

Texas Banded Gecko
Coleonyx brevis

Switak's Banded Gecko or Barefoot Banded Gecko
Coleonyx switaki
switaki switaki
switaki gypsicolus

Reticulated Banded Gecko
Coleonyx reticulatus

WHAT'S IN A NAME?
The name “Coleonyx” is derived from the Latin word “koleos” meaning “covered”, and the latin word “onyx” meaning “claw“.

brevis- brevis is the Latin word for “short”, reffering to the Texas banded gecko’s shortened nose.

elegans- elegans, is the Latin word for “slender”. The subspecies name, nemoralis, is the latin world for “banded”

reticulatus-reticulatus, is the Latin word for “netted pattern”.

switaki-The species name, switaki, honors Switak

variegatus (and subspecies)- The species name, variegatus, is the Latin word for “varying patter”. The subspecies name, “abbotti”, honors the former San Diego Natural History Society president, Clinton G. Abbott. The subspecies name “bogerti” honors the previous curator of herpetology at the American Museum of Natural History, Charles M. Bogert. The subspecies name “fasciatus” is Latin for “striped pattern”. The subspecies name “slevini” honors J.R. Slevin. The subspecies name “sonoriensis” refers to the Sonoran Desert. The subspecies name “peninsularis” refers to a peninsula. The subspecies name “utahensis” refers to Utah.

mitratus- lesser

I will finish later :D

docszoo
12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
wow :shock: There is that many species?!? And thanks for expaining the name meanings.

Coleonyx
12-30-2005, 10:08 PM
no problem. :D

SUBSTRATE
for the desert species (variegatus complex and brevis) pure fine grained sand works great
for the tropical species (mitratus and elegans) cocofiber is the best.

FOOD
appropriately sized crickets, waxworms, and mealworms, among others

TEMPS
70-88 F

BREEDING
just get a male and a female and let them do their thing. I have never brumated or cooled or switched photoperiod (12 hrs day and 12 hrs night). Incubate at 82 degrees and keep the babies like the adults.

SEXING
males have large spurs on the base of their tails

If you have any more questions, just ask!

As for availabiltity,
I should have cb desert banded geckos (just normals, no hypos yet) next year and they are $45 each
Next year I am going to collect bogerti in tucson so I should be getting those too.
I dont sell wc. just cb and ltc.
Geckosunlimited once had bogerti for sale

Thanks,
Alex

docszoo
12-30-2005, 11:01 PM
:? Thats very similar to leopard geckos (which I already have) Thnaks for the rest of the info :)