PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

mav46
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey guys... I've never owned a gecko, but I've been thinking about getting a crested for some time now. Last night I was in a pet store, asking questions about these little guys. The lady told me that they really are not for beginners and that I should just probably just a leopard gecko. From everything I've read online and elsewhere, crested geckos donít seem like they area that are to take care of. But I'd like to hear from you all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Haroldo
01-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I would stay away from most pet stores seeking solid info..often they are ill-informed themselves and rarely do any of the staff actually keep the animals they are selling. Now I got into Rhacs a while ago and enjoy keeping them in large numbers for the time being. I'm not sure they are the easiest herp to keep, but they certainly come close. They do fine at room temperature, no need for live food and are fairly easy and inexpensive to maintain. Comparatively speaking, they are not as hand-tame as leos are, as they are more jumpy. Space requirements are about the same: A 10g at least is big enough to house a single adult. They do require quite a bit more cover than leos do. And they are a ton of fun to work with. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'm sure some of our other members will chime in.

Sobedrummer007
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I would stay away from most pet stores seeking solid info..often they are ill-informed themselves and rarely do any of the staff actually keep the animals they are selling
Agree with 100%

Cresteds are probably one (if not the) easiest lizards to take care of in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest them as a begginer lizard, as long as the future owner is willing to commit any extra time that may be needed. When it comes to tameness it generally has to do with the individual gecko. I have never been shown aggression from my gecko, nor have i ever been bitten. I would probably say they need at least a 20 gallon tall, lots of foilage. They generally do well at room temp, but if you live in the colder areas like i do, a low wattage light will suffice.

Definately check out online caresheets and also the books

Rhacodactylus:The Complete Guide to Their Care and Selection
&
The Crested Gecko in Captivity