PDA

View Full Version : I introduced the milii---few questions

bugman426
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Well last night i introduced the female milii to the male just to see what would happen.

The male followed the female around, licking her, and biting a little bit on her tail...

But the female( first time breeding) kept making weird noises, and waving her tail up, which i was told means shes not ready to breed

So my question is how can i get her more "ready" to breed? I know the male is ready, but i dont think the female is

Thanks

bugman426
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
http://tinypic.com/jrsldj.jpg

a little biting action :D

so anyone got any input?

Sarah
01-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I can't really help as I keep all my pairs and trios together all the time. All I can say is that I have seen my females reject the males (not talking about Milli here though), there was no fighting, and the males back off and leave them be.

As long as there isn't any aggression, I'd leave them together. They'll mate when they are ready.

My hatchling milli put their tails up in the air and wave it around when they aren't happy too. I assume they are trying to get your attention drawn to their tail incase you are looking for a meal.

Maybe the survival instinct is overriding the reproduction instinct a the moment?
Once the female has gotten used to being in his company I'm sure they will get down and dirty. I'd be terrified if I was kept on my own and then had another animal put in the same enclosure that kept biting my tail.

Anyway, I've waffled on enough and haven't been of any help, hehehe!

Good luck with them :0)

bugman426
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Do you feed them while in the same enclosure together?

I think maybe ill put the female back together with the male for a week or so and see what happens

Sarah
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, my hatchlings are all kept seperately at this stage, but if you mean all my adult geckos, yes they are fed together. I have never had any problems at all.

Obviously make sure you put enough in at feeding time. Feed them before you put them back together and then they have a couple of days to get used to each other before your feed them together.

I'd suggest leaving the male in there. My breeding females (not Milli though) lay eggs and mate again straight away, the same night, so I don't think they get bored with each other!

:0)

bugman426
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
thats why i was worried...when i left them in together the first time after like a half hour, they just gave up. and the female would be on one side of the enclosure and the male on the other

but itll try what you said and let you know how it turns out

Sarah
01-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, I guess the female was freaking out and the male knew better than to push his luck.

Once the female has gotten used to him I'm sure she'll let him hop aboard, I guess once the animals have mated a few times they will probably get down to it as soon as you put them together, but if they haven't mated before they will be trying to work out what to do.

Watching my male Ciliaris, Bruce, go through that process was really funny. He even got on one of the females backwards! Once he worked out how to do it we haven't had a problem in the egg department!

;0)

bugman426
01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope your right...I go back to school in like 2 1/2 weeks, i hope i get to see them mate before i go back

Sarah
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Do you mean boarding school? Do you have to leave them behind? Good luck with them. Fingers crossed!

bugman426
01-05-2006, 11:09 PM
not boarding school--college, unless thats what you guys call college over there.

ive left them behind before--no biggie, my parents take good care of them

Sarah
01-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Ah-ha...you can't take them with you? There is NO WAY my parents would have been able to look after my gex. You are lucky to have such great parents!

bugman426
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Ah-ha...you can't take them with you? There is NO WAY my parents would have been able to look after my gex. You are lucky to have such great parents!

i wouldnt trust geckos in a suite with 6 drunk guys :P

ohh, and my parents dont like caring for them....they just accept the fact that i like them. But they do set limits on the number of geckos while im not home

Sarah
01-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Good point! Alcohol and animals don't go together.

When I kept my horse at home every time I got a bit squiffy I would think it was a fantastic idea to go out and groom him. Really bad idea to be handling an animal weighing over half a ton when drunk! Thankfully Jack is, for the most part, a gentleman!

How many are you allowed before you parents start going postal?!?

bugman426
01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I have 6 geckos, a monitor, and a bird, and thats the limit so far...until the summer comes and i get some stenos or steindachneris :D

back on topic though, the geckos ate together so maybe thats a good sign

Sarah
01-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Steindachneris are great. Lots of character.

Glad to hear that they ate together okay.

bugman426
01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
anyway to tell if theyve bred yet?

like any signs to look for?

Geckospot
01-08-2006, 08:19 PM
anyway to tell if theyve bred yet?

like any signs to look for?

Yeah...They'll be smoking cigarettes. :lol:

bugman426
01-08-2006, 08:31 PM