PDA

View Full Version : several breeding questions

tokay,tokay
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Once agian my female has laid a clutch of two,but they are not glued to anything. the simply just lay on the ground. Should i be worried about this?I wounder if there might be something wrong with her diet.She always has dusted crickets in her cage and she is eating fine.
My second question is, what is the longest time its take for the eggs to hatch?Its been three months now and I'm curious on how much longer it will take.Temperture is a constant 80 degrees and humidity is around 70 percent.If they are duds, How can I tell.

Any input would be much appreciated,Thanks.

cliff_f
01-16-2006, 06:24 PM
What I would do is take the eggs put them in a container with vermacilite or perlite and incubate them your self you can candle them to tell if they are firtile or not and if you do move them make sure they are laying the exact same way that you found them. you can incubate the eggs at 70-82F wich I would try around 75-78 so if the temp fluctuates it wont get to hot or to cold for the eggs.
They can take up to 200 days to hatch but probally more around 110 is average.but they can hatch as early as 60 to 70 days wich is really rare
You said they were just laying on the ground were the eggs behid something that the female might of felt that it would be a safe spot to lay the eggs?

tokay,tokay
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
how do you candle the eggs to tell if they are fertile

cliff_f
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
What I do is get in a dark room and use a flashlight with a piece of paper over it that has a hole about a quarter or the size of the egg and when the eggs start to mature there will be a slight air buble in the top of the egg and it will get bigger as the embryo matures and sometimes you can kind see veines in the embryo when it is still young.

cliff_f
01-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh yeah you have to hold the flashlight right agains the egg and kinda move it aroudn till you can see something it takes a little practice.

tokay,tokay
01-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok, so i candled the eggs using a box with a hole in it and a halogen bulb.I see a large air bubble about a sixth of the egg andd a dark mass on the bottom of it(about a fourth of the egg.I dont see any viens though.I figure about the begining of November was when they were layed. I this a good sign,or i guess I'm askking what a dud would look like?
Thanks for all the help.

cliff_f
01-17-2006, 02:19 PM
The veines are hard to see a normal egg woulndt have much of a air bubble but a firtle egg the air bubble will grow as the embryo does so just check it everyonce in a while and you will be able to tell if the embryo is growing.