PDA

View Full Version : Cricket suppliers

weswright
01-18-2006, 01:28 AM
So guys, I am maybe looking at switching cricket suppliers. Just wondering everyones experiances with diff. suppliers. Thanks!

Haroldo
01-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Okay, I've had 4 different cricket suppliers:

1. Ghann's is a pretty good supplier, crickets last long, but poor customer service in my experience. No insurance on live food period unless within their "Area" or overnight shipping.
2. Timberline Fisheries is an overpriced food supplier that has poor quality crickets in my opinion. My old job, a local shop orders at least 7000 a week and the fatalities are endless, even with a smaller quantity at home.
3. Reptile Depot (Herp Food) offers poor customer service. Package arrived dead except for one cricket and some unidentifiable bugs. Rep had no compassion for entire lost order. Told me they'd take off a few bucks and I should try again.
4. Fluker Farms is the most recent supplier I've used. Good customer service. High quality crickets--ordered some 4 week old crickets 12/13/05 and the last of them just died out a week ago. Next to zero dead with overnight shipping. Does have unidentifiable bugs crawling around, but quickly found and eliminated. Always sends more than ordered. I ordered 2000 crickets yesterday, and got about 3000 today. Reasonable prices on other "foods" too. Enjoying thus far.

aquapimp
01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I've always had the best luck with Fluker's, too.

Dragonflames81
01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I use to go with Southerncricket.com and samething their customer service is crap. I had to many issues with them. They had good crickets, sometimes the size consistancy was an issue but they always looked great and did have many die. After having 3 months in a row of issues I finally emailed them after calling wasn't working and I didn't even get a response not even my money back for the last time they where all dead. I just go through a petstore near me now, good price and good crickets. They get theirs through Tophatcricket.com. So I guess I would say I'm happy with them thus far.

Protean
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I used to go with Bassetts Cricket Ranch. but after a 3-4 months of them still sending my crickets to the wrong address and some not even getting delivered... I cancelled service. Bummer too because for around 3 years I've been using them without any issues an never had problems. The last time they shipped to me, they didn't show up. I then called and complained and they said it would be taken care of and they would send me a rush shipment to rememdy the situation. Well, the shipment went to the wrong address again. The shipping agency then refused redelivery... Needless to say I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. So I switched to American Cricket Ranch in San Diego. They are little more pricey in comparison to Bassetts but the crickets are always exactly what I order and usually over counted to some degree. They only thing that I have to complain about is that they need to have the order by 10am period for next day delivery. I don't have any complaints otherwise. Having a standing order helps too, so if you use a lot of crickets try using that.

I did go into ****roaches though and hope those all work out. I have lobsters, b.dubia, b.craniifer, hissers, and orange heads. Not enough of any to start feeding but nearing it rather quickly with the lobsters and orange heads. The dubia's and the craniifers are my big projects that I hope do very well and produce uncontrollably for me. :lol:

hope it helps
jason

GeckoTracks
01-19-2006, 12:59 AM
You may want to try out http://www.premiumcrickets.com/

I switched to them when I'm not using roaches, their crickets live so much longer than other places I've tried, and I actually stopped feeding my crickets with extra calcium, only using tiny amounts and just dusting them instead, turns out that's part of why they tend to die faster, I took their advice and my crickets live twice as long if not longer.

Quote from their site:

Should I gutload my crickets with calcium?
We see a lot of products on the market that feature a "Calcium Gutload". It is our recommendation that you stay away from those products. A small amount of calcium in the cricket feed is appropriate.

A cricket has no internal skeleton. When you supercharge your cricket with calcium, their exoskeleton becomes brittle. Once that occurs, they cannot molt. If they are unable to molt, then they die - that simple. Also, a brittle cricket is more difficult for your herp to digest.

It is best to coat your cricket with a calcium dust every other feeding. Our Kricket Complete feeding package has the calcium dust and duster to cover all of your calcium needs.

http://www.premiumcrickets.com/cricket-care_p4.html

If you don't want to use them I have a huge list of others lol just aim me

nephrurus7
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
i've been using Reptilefood.com for a while now and they have been very good. I had one package arrive mostly dead ( due to the weather) but they replaced them and sent out a new package the next day with no questions asked, they do have a live arrival guarantee as long as someone receives the package. they are pretty cheap also, $10 for 1000. I order about 2,000 every two weeks and have no problems. I always get the 2nd day shipping and they always arrive the next day. also have good mealworms and others as well. maybe you should give them a try.
------JERRY

oscar
01-20-2006, 03:20 PM
i've used herpfood.com and have had very good success with delivery, count, live rate, but sizing wasnt too strong. had them last 3 or 4 weeks.
i have used armstrong and ghanns too and no major complaints on either.

Scott

Protean
01-24-2006, 07:09 AM
www.premiumcrickets.com is not very cost effective if you are buying 3-5k of crickets at a time.

jason

Elizabeth Freer
05-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi All ~

Although this thread is dated, the subject is not.

Initially I used Fluker Farms, but needed someplace closer to Seattle so I switched to Bassett's. Grew unhappy with Bassett's over the years. Now I order from Sunshine Mealworms in Silverton, Oregon (800-322-1100, www.sunshinemealworms.com). Their crickets, customer service, and delivery times are SUPERB!!!

sarahjane85
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I've had no problems whatsoever with Grubco and have been ordering from them for years. Have had problems with Fluker but this was large volume standing order stuff (12,000 +).

Palex134
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
am I the only one who uses lll? 100% reccomend them. Been using them for years now.

Ira
09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I use sunshine mealworms as well. Good business.

DDReptiles
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I used to use Wormman, ans whatever you do, DON'T USE THEM!!!! They are just thiefs and impossible to get ahold of.

I have since switched to Ghanns Cricket Farm, and service and crickets are great, though I am in their guarenteed "area" so they are probably not a good choice since you live in Arizona.

Thanks Derek

cliff_f
09-14-2007, 12:48 AM
I have been using a place called JB Enterprise. They do not have a website just a phone number 1-800-691-8911. It cost me 16 bucks for 1000 crickets shipped. I have had really good luck with them so far.

brandon f.
09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
i have been using southerncricket.com for along time, and they have always been great. they are cheap, and my loss rate is very minimal.

Gecko Haven
09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
am I the only one who uses lll? 100% reccomend them. Been using them for years now.

i disagree i had nothing but trouble with them when i used them. i no longer deal with crickets but when i did i used reptilefood.com they were awesome and had great customer sevice.

Reptiluvr
09-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I have had great success with Reptilefood.com Fantastic customer service, cheap, crickets are great, no other bugs mixed in. Haven't had a problem with them in the 2 years I've used them.