PDA

View Full Version : Hemidactylus giganteus, prashadi, and Eurodactylus

blaberus
01-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I have a option to get some of these, but know nothing about them. Any info would be appriciated.
Thx,
James
james@blaberus.com

Geckospot
01-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Hey James. I dont know much about the Hemidactylus. Were you referring to Eurydactylodes? I keep Eurydactylodes agricolae. They are wonderful little geckos from New Caledonia and are a joy to keep. They are small, but have a very unique scalation and a bright yellow mouth with a yellow groove that runs from the corner of the mouth to the tympanum. They can be kept exactly like crested geckos. Here are some pics of some of mine.

http://www.geckospot.com/gallery/albums/userpics/e.agricolaerszd01.JPG
http://www.geckospot.com/gallery/albums/userpics/e.agricolaerszd02.JPG

Ken Bartenfeld
01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
What up James! Yea bro, be more specific!

chuckpowell
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
The Hemidactylus are great and if I was you I'd jump at them. Larger, heavy bodied animals similar to Tarentola. The two you mention are from the Indian subcontinent and supposedly easy to keep, nice patterns.

If you don't want them pass the information on to me.

Best,

Chuck

Leland
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
These geckos are nothing like Tarentola as Chuck stated, the body structure, color, and entire husbandry are not even close to being the same.

chuckpowell
01-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Hemidactylus giganteus is similar looking to H. maculatus. You'll find a picture of it on p. 100 of Henkel and Schmidt Porfessional Breeders Series, Geckos. The same species in also on the inside of the front cover. To my eyes it is very similar to T. gigas, which I have and is illustrated in one of the previous photo contests at this site. Heavy bodied, massive tail. Of course the colors different. Hemidactylus prashadi is thiner but both species are kept similar to T. gigas - mostly dry, on and between stones, higher temperatues. You can find a picture of it on p. 101 of the same book.

Best,

Chuck