PDA

View Full Version : simple curiousity poll for those who have bred geckos!

Palex134
02-05-2006, 09:56 AM
what would you say have been the easiest species to breed for you?

i'd say R. Ciliatus. Mine laid the day I got them and I got clutches all season from them. My second season is running nicely as well.

HaikuDan
02-05-2006, 11:20 AM
My trusty old leopard geckos hands down.

uroplatusguy
02-05-2006, 01:03 PM
The easiest I have are my uroplatus phantasticus. :D

Palex134
02-05-2006, 01:09 PM
arent they supposedly hard to breed? Or maybe that is just to keep? Either way, congrats. They are a favorite uroplatus of mine!

darth_gecko
02-05-2006, 01:17 PM
well since i've only started with my collection i cant say anything but from the amount of times i've caught my p.picta at it ill go with:

Paroedura pictus!

uroplatusguy
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
They are fairly easy once you get them going and they are well aclimated. I have 8 babies in two years and a half years with 62 total eggs laid and I want to improve the hatch and mortality rate as even though I have hatched out 20 only eight have survived. But i can cout them as a succes as they have beeen more reliable than my cresteds or pictus.

miguel camacho!
02-05-2006, 02:03 PM
jeez! i have 7 still surviving from the past few years, i've only lost 3 total. when you count 62, does that include infertile eggs?

anyway, i've gotta say that cresteds are too easy. they breed too much, and thats why im getting to the point im thinking of getting rid of mine.

Palex134
02-05-2006, 02:11 PM
I love it! I never loose the excitment of seeing a new clutch!

uroplatusguy
02-05-2006, 03:56 PM
yes that is including inferts. Should i not be counting those? 12 of those babies have a hard time shedding/survivng past the first day no mater what the humidity is and out of the 20, almost them all were males(pattern and size at hatching males are smaller when they hatch than females).

miguel camacho!
02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
well, it's up to you whether or not you count your inferts, but i typically dont count mine, seeing as theres really nothing to expect out of them.

how many fertile eggs total have you gotten thru the years?

uroplatusguy
02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
36 fertile eggs and 26 inferts in 2.5 years. of those only 20 hatched and of the 20 only 8 have survived so far but i have 8 left to hatch so far but it looks like 2 of my females are gravid again. I just counted them to get a rough guess on how many to expect in an average year and it helps me guess when about they will be good to layfertile eggs. there is alot we dont know about them like what normal infant mortality rate is and when is the best time to get them to be good breeders stuff like that.

Brian
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
You know I don't think counting gravid females/1st year wild caught should count as breeding an animal..

Palex134
02-05-2006, 11:02 PM
I got my crested while she was already laying, so I dont take credit for hers. I bought "old faithful" and raised her up and got 2 clutches, 1 infertile, last year. I have gotten a couple clutches from them this year that are still incubating.

Brian
02-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Well what I meant is that for instance if I get Frog Eye gecko eggs this year it's because of what mother nature did not me. If I get them next year it will be beccause I overwintered correctly, etc.

I mean I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to incubate eggs etc. I'm just saying I personally don't consider myself as being able to breed a species until I get them to breed again if they are WC. Obviously cb is a little different.

uroplatusguy
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
if you go buy that than discount 1 baby and 2 eggs. the rest are because they bredin my care not as wild caught adults breedign ruight away.

mat.si
02-08-2006, 09:39 AM
From what I've bred during the 15 years or so, I'd definitely say that the easiest were:
Paroedura picta and Coleonyx elegans.

They have also produced the greatest number of hatchlings. I've literally produced hundreds of each species.

Matjaz

Brian
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Well obviously tropical species are different since when you get them you can put them together and produce eggs assuming you can incubate and have them in good condition.

I was just saying personally I don't think I deserve credit until I overwinter for species that require that and do a "repeat" breeding.