PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Levis Levis Questions

MattP
02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but I'm new to these forums and new to Knob tails. I have a pair of levis levis that I believe are at breeding size, the female is 23 grams and the male is 11 grams. I know the female wants to breed and she's at a good weight, but is my male too small? The female is very submissive, and at first my male approaches...... but then he backs off. Basically I just want to know if 11 grams is big enough for a male to breed??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

MattP
02-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of the pair.

http://royalgecko.com/DSCN1344.JPG

http://royalgecko.com/DSCN1343.JPG

Ken Bartenfeld
02-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I would say the male is to small, but thats just me. He is gorgeous though :-)

MattP
02-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks Ken, well if he's too small....... that means I should be able to get him up to size within the next month or two, right? Do knobtails have a specific breeding season, I kind of cycled them during the winter and was planning on breeding them around Febuary or March. I like the name of your website, I think I'm becoming addicted and obsessed with these little guys!

Ken Bartenfeld
02-09-2006, 01:08 AM
They are...heh...

How old are they by the way? Do you keep them seperate?

Ari
02-09-2006, 01:11 AM
I tend to agree with Ken - the male is rather too small.

However the colouring on those 2 specimens is to die for - love the yellow banding on the female you have there.

Ari

Ken Bartenfeld
02-09-2006, 01:13 AM
I agree with the yellow banding...

MattP
02-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I bought them in Daytona from Nathan, Scott, and Alberto. The male was 4 grams and the female was 18 grams. I think they said the female was almost a year old, I don't remember how old the male was.... 2 months maybe. So they would be about 8 months and 16 months old now. I do keep them separate, it was really funny when I put the female in the males cage.......... he got all upset and started running around, but then he went up to her and got scared. She was acting very submissive though, so at least I know she wants to breed.

Ken Bartenfeld
02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
No shit, I remember that female.

arta
02-09-2006, 12:20 PM
This little guy wasn't just getting a piggy back ride.....He was makin' babies! She walked him all over her the tub, but he "stuck" with it.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/26620piggyback.JPG

firereptiles
02-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Matt,
Nice pair of levis you got there! Very nice color indeed..
That pink/purple male and yellow banded female, just amazing.

Well, like I wrote in my levis post, my Female is 32gr & the Male is only 14 gr. But my male supposedly is from a small strain genes.'
The first time I put them together, the female wasn't receptive. So I separate them for a week and tried to put them together again... and again.. And one day, they Did it :D
I put the Male to the Female enclosure though.
Yours gonna produce nice color babies!

Nice to have you in the forums!
Oh and I'm in Pacifica CA... Art is also in bay area, and he has many many levis :wink:

MattP
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys, well I'm glad I signed up to this forum......... it seems like you guys have a lot of experience. I'll keep you all updated on what happens with my pair!