PDA

View Full Version : p.pictus breeding and incubation

darth_gecko
02-24-2006, 08:15 AM
hi all i've got a gravid female p.pictus and i do not have a clue to do for when shes about 2 lay her eggs a friend has told me i need a tupperware box full of moss/damp verimlucite and thts all i kno, also 2 of my leos are gravid so i got the same tips but i dnt have a clue, so if any one is out there i need a hand!

darth_gecko

darth_gecko
02-26-2006, 01:05 PM
well since no body would help and est. as irony would have it a day after this form was posted my one leos laid an egg and my p.picta is in th middle of laying her eggs now.

darth_gecko

the moof
02-26-2006, 04:25 PM
all i can advise is that you take your friends advice! i have no experience with gecko eggs, so i dont really know, but i guess it will be the best thing.

regards,
*the moof*

G&MGeckos
02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Here is a pretty good link for the leo eggs.
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm

Here is a good care sheet for the pictus.

http://progeckos.com/caresheets/pictus.htm

Good luck. I hope this helps and keep us posted.

markvij
02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
They prefer to lay their eggs in slightly damp substrate. I incubated the eggs at 28 degrees Centigrade on dry subtrate (sand) but with rather high humidity (80%), which I realised by placing a small cup of water in the incubation box and placing the box in a 'dry' incabator (not au-bain marie).

Mark

darth_gecko
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
ok ty also any tips with leos mark?

Leland
02-28-2006, 03:55 PM
darth_gecko,
I have been breeding P.picta for about 6-7 years now and I have went through so many methods of keeping and breeding them in order to do it in the best possible way. Here's what I do:
*Keep the male and female together until she lays her first fertile clutch, then seperate them. The female will lay many many eggs from one breeding. I seperate the pair after breeing because the males can stress the female in some cases, but not always. A female will search out a moist place in which to bury her eggs (usually 2, but young females may only lay 1). I use plastic containers with moist soil and sand or vermiculite for the lay box. After you know she has laid, you can dig the eggs up and incubate them. This species is Temp. sexed like all geckos, so incubate accordingly. I keep all hatchlings seperate until they are mature for breeding.
*Hatchling to sexable-6"x6" sandwhich container with hide.
*sexable to adult-shoebox
*Breeding pairs-sweaterbox
*All animals are kept on paper towel, mister/fed every other day and have a hide on the hot end and a moist hidebox on the cool end. That's it to breeding/keeping this species.

darth_gecko
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
k thank you u've solved so much for me but 1 problems: they have damp soil every where because tht there substrate, so as far as i could know there sum gecko egs in ther now :? so is there any way i could tell where a nest site could be?

darth_gecko
02-28-2006, 04:50 PM
ok nvm if just found the nest site and found one egg was collapsed the other seems perfectly health but i moved the egg< quite a distanace> and i dnt know what position it was laided in so: did i kill it? plz i realy need help

Leland
02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
When you think there are eggs, the easiest way to find them is to lift the cage and look at the bottom, that is if it is glass or plastic. The eggs are almost always buried on the glass, so they are easy to spot. If you have a problem turning the eggs, take a black marker and put a dot on the top part of the egg so you know what position to put it back into when you incubate. I've never really had problems turning eggs after they are laid because they are not yet developed, but I do think it could be a problem once they start developing.

darth_gecko
03-01-2006, 06:52 AM
well one egg was cracked open and looked about the age but was just full of this white smelly stuff! any way am gonna ask my local reptile breeder if i can become a sort of aperntis <srry 2 much star wars> also how long dose it take for a gravid gecko take 2 bring its eggs 2 term because i can keep an eye out for laying

darth_gecko

JaeHood
03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
I too am breeding my pictus, and I'm curious about incubation mediums and humidity. Ive been recommended to use vermiculite 1:1 with water and place the egg in that. However is it best to use sand and have the humidity just around the egg, or is it ok to have the egg in the humid/wet vermiculite.

Xanadu1
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I am breeding Pictus too and can't seem to find the answer to one particular question. Once breeding has taken place, how long until she lays eggs??

lamarr
09-11-2010, 05:09 PM
darth_gecko,
I have been breeding P.picta for about 6-7 years now and I have went through so many methods of keeping and breeding them in order to do it in the best possible way. Here's what I do:
*Keep the male and female together until she lays her first fertile clutch, then seperate them. The female will lay many many eggs from one breeding. I seperate the pair after breeing because the males can stress the female in some cases, but not always. A female will search out a moist place in which to bury her eggs (usually 2, but young females may only lay 1). I use plastic containers with moist soil and sand or vermiculite for the lay box. After you know she has laid, you can dig the eggs up and incubate them. This species is Temp. sexed like all geckos, so incubate accordingly. I keep all hatchlings seperate until they are mature for breeding.
*Hatchling to sexable-6"x6" sandwhich container with hide.
*sexable to adult-shoebox
*Breeding pairs-sweaterbox
*All animals are kept on paper towel, mister/fed every other day and have a hide on the hot end and a moist hidebox on the cool end. That's it to breeding/keeping this species.

This specie is not TSD!